The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a 10 gallon shrimp & plant tank. I would like to add DIY CO2, but the last time I tried it, it was VERY hard to keep the p.h. stable.

Do many of you keep shrimp with DIY CO2? If so, would you mind sharing how you do it and still keep a stable p.h.? And can the fluctuating CO2 and PH harm the shrimp?

Here is a link to my 10 gallon journal.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
383 Posts
It is more important to keep the KH constant.

The PH flux should not be bad if they are not huge (less than 0.5 a day I would say).

I use DIY CO2 on a 10gal, (I know alot of poeple use DIY CO2 with RCS) and there is no way to keep it stable.

Try it out and see

·
Registered
121 Posts
If your DIY CO2 is pumping hard like mine, I would stop them becuse DIY CO2 can't be stopped...
If running daily few hours of CO2 is be fine.
If your DIY CO2 pumping slowly, it shouldn't be problem.
I remember my DIY CO2 was pumping like crazy few months ago about 1 week, but I didn't care... and my ph changed a lot and one shrimp died everyday for week...
Just make sure DIY CO2 not making your pH change too much ^^

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
dont really think you can keep anything stable w diy. everything will fluctuate a bit. as long as there isnt too much co2 coing into the tank i think your shrimp will be ok. i dont think the fluctuating ph should be too harmfull at all. they can handle a ph of 6.5. here is a link to rex griggs who kinda supports what i think. click on question 18 http://www.theplantedtankfaq.com/CO2_FAQ.html

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have incorporated the On, OFF switch into my DIY CO2 by using a T connector and adding a small piece of tubing that has been sealed on one end.

I turn it off the first couple of night and if I start to see my drop checker get yellowish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.