The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok dumb question if you over dose co2 injection and the fluid goes from blue/green to yellow in the checker do you need to replace the indicator solution or will it slowly return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
628 Posts
It will return. It's Bromothymol Blue. It's a reagent that indicates pH. It's been 18 hours since you posted so you have seen by now. Bromothymol Blue is my favorite pH reagent because it ranges from 6.0 to 7.4 which is perfect for CO2 injection. It's color changes are better than other reagents for the human eye to discern. You will have to replace the reagent eventually. You can make your own indicator solution with 4 dKH water and 4 drops of Bromothymol Blue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can make your own indicator solution with 4 dKH water and 4 drops of Bromothymol Blue.
May I just add that the 4 dKH water needs to be made up with some care. It does require distilled or RO/DI water and something like a jeweller's scale to weigh the sodium/potassium bicarbonate and a KH water test kit capable of measuring to +/-0.1dKH.

Anon

·
Banned
628 Posts
May I just add that the 4 dKH water needs to be made up with some care. It does require distilled or RO/DI water and something like a jeweller's scale to weigh the sodium/potassium bicarbonate and a KH water test kit capable of measuring to +/-0.1dKH.

Anon
I have an Ohaus scale and a colorimeter for testing but I wouldn't want to make 4 dKH water. I have been buying the Fluval drop indicator solution for $5.99 a tiny bottle. If ever I did make my own indicator solution it would be a 250 ml batch to improve the accuracy of the mixing. Maybe I would make even a bigger batch to help with the weighing. It's impossible to weigh things out to the nearest milligram even if you do have a good scale and a steady hand. The scale has to be level and when you walk around the room the scale shifts. The slightest air current changes the readout so no breathing LOL. Since Sodium/Potassium Bicarbonate are so inexpensive, You could mix four liters of it. That would really help with the accuracy. Then you could keep 8 ounces of it to make your indicator solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.