The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently using pressurized co2 with a rex grigg co2 reactor running from the return of my rena xp1. This is on my 30 gal and it keeps the drop checker in the green and plant growth is ok, though i do not get a lot of pearling. i also have 2 rhinox 1000 diffusers. since these diffusers are rated for tanks 20 gal. and below i would put one at each end of the tank.
keeping in mind what a PITA primming is after filter maintenance and the extra resistance the reactor may be putting on my filter's pump, i would like to hear any opinions on which would be better. reactor or diffuser?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I like diffusors for smaller tanks like this one. Reactors are great and so is misting (my favorite so far) but nothing beats to simple elegant solution that's provided by a diffusor when it will suffice.

(and you don't have to have a lot of pearling to have a gorgeous tank :) )

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have never had any issues priming my canister with the reactor on. I just close the quick connect valves, clean the canister and then just hook it back up. It starts right back up.

I currently use a diffuser in my 20g and a reactor on my 29g. The diffuser is by far much much more wasteful. Most of the bubbles reach the surface and are released into the air. With my reactor I can run fewer bps and no CO2 is lost to the air. But I am having problems with my reactor where undissolved CO2 is collecting at the top and making some noise. I seem to be the exception though, since most people report great things with their reactor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, my reactor is tilted a bit, a suggestion by hoppy i read somewhere on here, and i have not had the problems some have had with the collection of gas at the top of my reactor.
as far as primming, your right, up until you need clean your hoses, then it can be a hassle. i guess it is an overall maintenance issue. so to prime i've had to use a funnel and pour water down the return until the reactor filled up, just an extra step really....guess i'm just kind of lazy....

and you are right P.P., less waste w/ my reactor. guess i was just looking for a reason to use these diffusers i have just sitting around....maybe i'll set up a new tank!

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have always used a glass diffusor. Honestly, it did the job when I had 2 HOB filters fine. I was able to lower my bubble rate quite a bit when I went to a canister filter and my drop checker doesn't change noticable overnight with the co2 off. I have never used a reacter, I like how a glass diffusor looks and it did the job for me. I bought mine at GLA, whatever one is rated for my tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts