The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just used a tiny bit of aquarium silicone to seal the hole around the airline tubing in my CO2 reactor its been sitting for about 5 hrs now, do i really need to wait 3 days for it to cure or can i fire up my reactor?

·
Registered
42 Posts
there are different 'plastics'

I did notice that the silicone bond (because I just built a reactor as well) to the pvc pipe was pretty easily pulled off (it stuck but just not very well).. I am planning on just being very careful not to mess with the seal too much until I get around to putting something more permanent .. like epoxy or jb weld..

make sure you are not using a silicone with mildew resistance built in :)

oh.. and mine was long enough

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice thing about silicone is that it can make a pretty tight mechanical seal.. it may not bond well to pvc or at all to vinyl but goop enough on there and it'll be water tight enough.... like duct tape... or Scotch 2228 moisture sealing electrical tape (some amazing stuff)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Speaking of Goop.... if you drill the cap of a gallon jug of Arizona Iced Tea and force a short piece of rigid 3/16" tubing through it, and glue both sides with Goop, it's pretty dang air tight.

$1.29 for 3 feet of that rigid tube at PetsmartCo...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.