The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a co2 reactor in the middle of my 120g tank, 6' long. i feel that their isn't enough co2 distribution in my tank and was wondering if the reactor is actually a good method to distribute co2. i have an eheim 2026 on the left and a 2213 on the right; they both have spray bars along the middle of the tank. i was thinking of somehow putting the co2 into the outtakes of both filters but am not sure if that would improve the co2 distribution and i don't even know how to install it into the outtakes. the tank is running on pressurized co2 at 2bps. i have a 20lb tank and only one regulator. thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
i use the aquamedic 1000 reactor for my CO2. i my eyes it gives the best results. tried different ways to add the co2 but this works the best :) it is for external use.

http://www.aqua-medic.de/freshwater/en/2/reactor 1000/

ofcourse also easy to make it yourself with some PVC pipes etc :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I too use the AM 1000. I have it attached to a 2315 and then to the spray bar. I notice small "bubbles" coming from the spray bar. Is this normal? My bubble rate is 80 bpm.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm using the design from Rex Grigg's website. Its on the outflow of my XP3. It's like night and day as far as growth goes. I used to use just a power head with the CO2 being injected into the intake. I'm getting small bubbles too but I have to run around 4-5 bps for some reason. Otherwise I get no drop in pH. I'm using inch and a half PVC by two feet long for the Rex Grigg setup. Sorry and to add this is on my 75 gal.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The Rex Grigg reactor gives 100% diffusion of CO2, unless you overload it (which means you need to make it bigger). I don't think any diffusion method that produces little bubbles in the water column can claim to be as effective.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have not been around here for a while but I just read your post and I know exactly what you mean, long tanks in general need two co2 outlets ( one in each corner),this is my experience of course ,IMHO you will have a better control of the distribution of co2.
Another important thing you need is a couple of powerful powerheads to circulate a planted tank ,as these plants grow they restrict the flow and water does not circulate as well as before therefore you must have at least 2 water pumps/powerheads to help with that.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do you have a drop checker?

I'm using the design from Rex Grigg's website. Its on the outflow of my XP3. It's like night and day as far as growth goes. I used to use just a power head with the CO2 being injected into the intake. I'm getting small bubbles too but I have to run around 4-5 bps for some reason. Otherwise I get no drop in pH. I'm using inch and a half PVC by two feet long for the Rex Grigg setup. Sorry and to add this is on my 75 gal.
Sounds exactly like what I've got. I couldn't find the right fittings for 2" PVC, so I used 1.5". The flow is too much and the bubbles don't stay in the regulator long enough to all dissolve.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Using a Rex style reactor after the pump from the sump on a 110g 5' long tank. 2" PVC down flow. It's been combined with an Aqua UV 15w sterilizer. Done this way so the total pump to tank discharge passes through the reactor and UV unit. The tank has only been set up for about 5 months but the system seems to work well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Using a Rex style reactor after the pump from the sump on a 110g 5' long tank. 2" PVC down flow. It's been combined with an Aqua UV 15w sterilizer. Done this way so the total pump to tank discharge passes through the reactor and UV unit. The tank has only been set up for about 5 months but the system seems to work well.
hey mike i'll check your journal later to see how the outflows are set up. you set up the co3 after the uv right? thanks, and how's the aqua uv workin? better than the turbotwist?

·
Registered
711 Posts
i just started to use a rex grigg style reactor with tom barr's venturi and co2 inlet method on a closed loop powered by a maxijet 900 to a eheim spray bar mounted on the right side of my 20h tank. more than enough flow because of the closed loop; i also don't have any 90 degree turns on the system.

btw, i hear a whistling sound sometimes. it seems to be coming from the spray bar. anyone else experience this? could it be that the mj900 is too powerful for the spray bar (from a 2213)? i think the mj is rated at 230gph at 0 head.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just started to use a rex grigg style reactor with tom barr's venturi and co2 inlet method on a closed loop powered by a maxijet 900 to a eheim spray bar mounted on the right side of my 20h tank. more than enough flow because of the closed loop; i also don't have any 90 degree turns on the system.

btw, i hear a whistling sound sometimes. it seems to be coming from the spray bar. anyone else experience this? could it be that the mj900 is too powerful for the spray bar (from a 2213)? i think the mj is rated at 230gph at 0 head.
do you have a picture of your set up?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not been around here for a while but I just read your post and I know exactly what you mean, long tanks in general need two co2 outlets ( one in each corner),this is my experience of course ,IMHO you will have a better control of the distribution of co2.
Another important thing you need is a couple of powerful powerheads to circulate a planted tank ,as these plants grow they restrict the flow and water does not circulate as well as before therefore you must have at least 2 water pumps/powerheads to help with that.
Good luck.
just out of curiosity, how many filters do you have on the tank? if you have 2 co2 outlets are they attached to the filters or separate? thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so a question for everyone using the rex grigg style reactor plumbed into filter outtakes. do you have to increase the flow rate of the co2 to prevent water from trying to climb into the co2 line, or would that not matter b/c the co2 tank has enough pressure to prevent water from going in (only when co2 is running)?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
so a question for everyone using the rex grigg style reactor plumbed into filter outtakes. do you have to increase the flow rate of the co2 to prevent water from trying to climb into the co2 line, or would that not matter b/c the co2 tank has enough pressure to prevent water from going in (only when co2 is running)?
Always install a good quality check valve between your bubble counter/regulator and the reactor/aquarium.
You can see mine in the pic I posted of the reactor during set up and testing its brass hanging on the end of the gas tubing near the top of the reactor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.