The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to hook up my CO2 reactor, but it is a different size hose than the hose for the pump. Inner diameter is 3/8 different./ Between the two. Is this common or did I buy a bad reactor. Picture is what I bought.

Will it affect flow too substantiall
Material property Drink Cylinder Glass bottle Font
Hand Toy Finger Sleeve Gas

y?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You need to run that reactor on a bypass. Don't push 100% of your filter output through the reactor. Get a T fitting (or better yet a Y) and run the reactor off of that bypass. The rest of your tank water continues on. Then have a ball valve to control the flow of the rest of the tank water so you can force a small amount through the reactor. If done this way the flow in your tank won't be greatly affected.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to run that reactor on a bypass. Don't push 100% of your filter output through the reactor. Get a T fitting (or better yet a Y) and run the reactor off of that bypass. The rest of your tank water continues on. Then have a ball valve to control the flow of the rest of the tank water so you can force a small amount through the reactor. If done this way the flow in your tank won't be greatly affected.
So essentially create the nilocg reactor? This would be no different using flexible hose type y fittings?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
So essentially create the nilocg reactor? This would be no different using flexible hose type y fittings?
Doesn't matter if the hose is flexible or hard pvc, the water cares not. But you can't run all of a tanks power through a normal sized reactor and expect that it will work properly. Plus this one will definitely restrict flow as well if the inner diameter is different from the rest of the hoses used.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the diminished champion is correct. of course it's a bit tricky to find 1/2" or 3/4" or 1" to 3/8" adapters, but they exist.
I dont see any comment from Diminished Champion for some reason. But Im interested based on your post. Would you mind quoting him in your reply?

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I dont see any comment from Diminished Champion for some reason. But Im interested based on your post. Would you mind quoting him in your reply?
sorry, I was being unnecessarily cheeky... Minor Hero ... Diminished Champion....

Doesn't matter if the hose is flexible or hard pvc, the water cares not. But you can't run all of a tanks power through a normal sized reactor and expect that it will work properly. Plus this one will definitely restrict flow as well if the inner diameter is different from the rest of the hoses used.
MinorHero is correct.... My setup is a bit different... I do run all of my water through my reactor.... But my circumstances are different... I'm running 1" lines and my reator is 2 1/2" in diameter by 24" long (so considerable dwell time). I didn't always run it directly through, as my design does have a bypass... but the bypass valve leaks when opened.... so I had to close it up. I still get very good CO2 absorption into the water column. But in retrospect, I'd rather run 2 of the reactors that you have in parallel .. and then again in parallel once more with my 1" return line.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry, I was being unnecessarily cheeky... Minor Hero ... Diminished Champion....

MinorHero is correct.... My setup is a bit different... I do run all of my water through my reactor.... But my circumstances are different... I'm running 1" lines and my reator is 2 1/2" in diameter by 24" long (so considerable dwell time). I didn't always run it directly through, as my design does have a bypass... but the bypass valve leaks when opened.... so I had to close it up. I still get very good CO2 absorption into the water column. But in retrospect, I'd rather run 2 of the reactors that you have in parallel .. and then again in parallel once more with my 1" return line.
So basically my options are this, Run my reactor with a bi pass, or get a bigger reactor. Would I be better off building my own to be of substantil size with ports being properly sized to my 5/8" hose?

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I don't think you would necessarily be better off building your own...this is a good reactor and gets the job done. My reactor is different becuase it sits on a centralized system that features 6 display tanks... So, I needed serious capacity for dwell time as my water turnover is quite aggressive.If this is going on your 75gal you will probably find it sufficient for the type of easy growing plants that you have. Again, the trick is the plumbing. You can always check a site like www.gamurdock.com to see what they have for fittings.
https://www.gamurdock.com/

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think you would necessarily be better off building your own...this is a good reactor and gets the job done. My reactor is different becuase it sits on a centralized system that features 6 display tanks... So, I needed serious capacity for dwell time as my water turnover is quite aggressive.If this is going on your 75gal you will probably find it sufficient for the type of easy growing plants that you have. Again, the trick is the plumbing. You can always check a site like www.gamurdock.com to see what they have for fittings.
Homepage
But id still need a bi pass. Correct?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
absolutely. you can't risk having that reactor choke off you overall flow. a bypass that you can control (simple ball valve would do) is a good idea.
Ok, So I will get some hose to fit the reactor and then step it up to the hose that fits the filter housing. Add in a ball valve. This should allow me to provide enough CO2 for a 75 gallon tank? How can i adjust this for proper flow and CO2 injection?

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Ok, So I will get some hose to fit the reactor and then step it up to the hose that fits the filter housing. Add in a ball valve. This should allow me to provide enough CO2 for a 75 gallon tank? How can i adjust this for proper flow and CO2 injection?
THere are many threads on the topic. Your regulator should have a bubble counter and needle valve for fine adjustment of your CO2.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THere are many threads on the topic. Your regulator should have a bubble counter and needle valve for fine adjustment of your CO2.
I understand all that. I'm good there, but I've never had to adjust tla ball valve on the side of a reactor in order to tune in flow as well as CO2. That's what I have to figure out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to hijack but I am in a similar position as OP. I have a Fluval 307 and am considering a reactor,
looking at this one:

I also am having trouble finding the size of the factory ribbed hose that comes with the fluval and whether or not it would work with the GLA reactor and should I switch hose? What considerations need to be made as regards to flow reduction in using the reactor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another thought is that it is better to run the reactor on its own external pump as canister filters flow is reduced as it gets dirty and this will result in instable amounts of c02 saturation in the tank.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another thought is that it is better to run the reactor on its own external pump as canister filters flow is reduced as it gets dirty and this will result in instable amounts of c02 saturation in the tank.
Ive thought about these two issues as well. I came up with these responses... Im getting rid of the fluvals hoses for two reasons. 1. I want to see the water in them, or see how dirty the water is anyway. 2. I feel the ribs will be more likely to hold on to gunk which will limit flow. This will allow me to have a visual to help me know when I need to clean the hoses. regarding the canister filters reducing flow, I kind of feel that with proper maintenance, this shouldn't be an issue. Im on a quest right now to figure out how often to clean mine. But I hope to have it figured out after the first few months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im wonder about unhooking the canister for maintenence. The reactor will stay full if you turn the c02 off first or will you need to purge it somehow?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im wonder about unhooking the canister for maintenence. The reactor will stay full if you turn the c02 off first or will you need to purge it somehow?
Not sure on your setup exactly. On mine, the reactor will be on the outgoing side of the canister, so when I close the valve before disconnecting the hoses from the filter housing, all the water (and CO2) will stay locked where it is at. If you disconnect the hoses to clean the hoses, then you will essentially lose any water and CO2 that is in the hoses and whatever comes out of the reactor as well. I dont know what you would necessarily need to purge any CO2, but Im pretty new to this all so you may want to get another opinion. Please let me know what you come up with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts