The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after some deliberation and research, I decided to go DIY with a co2 reactor. I bought a surprisingly well made single stage home water filter (Glacier Bay or something - the typical water filter with bypass leaver and 3/4" NPT holes on either end of the screw on top).

But.... It's HUGE when you consider this is for a 12 gallon long. Now, I'm not afraid of "overkill", as right now it's being filtered by a Fluval G6 (flow leaver way down).

Since this was so huge, I was wondering, would it be wise to toss in a pouch or two of Purigen in there to utilize the massive space, or would that affect dissolution of Co2 somehow or have negative consequences?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I don't see any conflict as they are two separate operations. But then I'm not fond of having a bag of filtering stuff where I can't see it easy. Your choice but taking my reactor down to look at the purigen would not be my favorite place as I check it often when using it. But then , I also don't find need to run it very much while others do.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The housing is clear, but the point about dismantling the reactor to get to the media was something I didn't think of. Probably not a great idea then...

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Depends on how the filter comes apart, etc. how well it might work. But then I'm not a fan of using Purigen even though it is great stuff when needed. But I am fortunate enough that in most cases, I'm able to find a setup where it is not needed full time so that definitely changes how I might see it? I recommended it to my son as he has a different setup and time than I do.
It's all about how well we can adapt to what we each need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.