The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this? Care to comment?

I'm getting ready to purchase the items needed for my 90gals. So far my shopping list includes:

Eheim Classic Canister 2217
300 watt Visitherm
Drs Foster and Smith Semi Automatic CO2 system
Coralife 2X96watt 36 in 6700K
10 bags of Flourite

TIA for your opinions

Ed

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Well, first of all, if you're in Lomita, CA, check out SCAPE.

Next, you might new more flow than a 2217 for a planted 90 gallon tank.

If you want a heater, consider an in-line Hydor heater to prevent clutter in your tank. I actually don't use the in-lines and have Visi-Therm Stealths myself, but just throwing out some options.

You can also build yourself an in-line CO2 reactor...I've never tried the AM Reactor 500 so I can't comment on that.

For a CO2 system, piece together one yourself. It'll be better quality and cheaper than the Drs. Foster and Smith set.

The lighting looks good to me if your 90 gallon is 3 feet long.

If you're looking for substrate, have you thought about ADA AquaSoil? It might be more expensive, but if you look at the Substrate forum, most people have given it rave reviews.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Epic just joined SCAPE.

I've been planting aquariums for the past ten years or so (with great success) but always took the DIY path and never with an aquarium of more than 25gallons.

This time I want to do things a bit more professionally

I have a bunch of old cannister filters that I can supplement the 2217 with. I just always wanted an Eheim classic :)

I Might try the inline heater sometime in the future.

So the DRs F&S regulator is subpar? It seems like a bargain to me as it comes with a regulator, selonoid, bubble counter, glass diffusor, timer and tubing for on sale for $95. Here is a LINK Do you know where I can get one locally for about the same price?

Yes my new tank is 36X24X24

I've been using Flourite for many years and giving that up would be like ending a longtime relationship ;) But I will possibly check out A.S. as I've been reading quite alot about it. Decision time......

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Great! If you can supplement the 2217, you'll be good to go.

Hm, wow, the system is a lot cheap than when I last checked! I'd go for it. Just make sure you get a separate brass check valve with new CO2 tubing. Silicone will leak more than your regular airline tubing! And the reason for the brass check valve is because it's more reliable than the (probably) plastic one that comes on the bubble counter. THe timer and diffuser look good.

The Azoo regulator from DrsF&S is actually pretty decent. I have two myself!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Epic U-DA-MAN! You respond quickly too!!!

I dosn't mention a needle valve in the description though so I was wondering. I am guessing the needle valve is the part right after the selonoid?

Ed

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Bottom left, right next to the silicone tubing. It's the yellow thing with a knob and an outlet going to the left.

Yes, it's right next to the solenoid.

Edit: I just busted out my Azoo regulator...yep, it has a needle valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.