The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Right now I have a low/medium light 29g planted tank and I am converting to high light. I will have a canopy with a Sunlight Supply 2x24 watt T5HO kit in it, and then a piece of glass sitting on the top of the tank so that water doesn't splash onto the lights. My tank is 12" from front to back so I ordered an 8" wide piece of glass to protect the lights, which leaves me 2" on each side of the glass for gas to diffuse. I had read that you don't want to completely cover the top of the tank with glass because then the gases will not diffuse properly. Is this enough room for gas to diffuse or should my piece of glass be less wide? I know it sounds like I'm being anal but I'm investing a lot of time and $ into this :)

Also I will have a 5 lb co2 tank and a milwaukee 957 regulator. I am buying a brass check valve for it, but was not sure if it would be ok for the check valve to go after the bubble counter?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If it were me, and I weren't just going to buy a pre-fab glass top (which is the easy thing to do here), I would only leave about an inch of a gap. So, 11". You're not going to be sealing the aquarium up by placing a piece of glass on top, even if you made it 12" wide, so you might as well make the top as big as possible to lessen the amount of evaporation you'll be dealing with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I understand it would be easier but the glass tops I could find that have hinges would block my light, so I'd have to take the hinges off anyway. I'm actually saving some $ by ordering my own piece of glass.. $12 vs $25. I'll do what you suggested though and cover most of the aquarium.. just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up :)

Any input about the regulator?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The check valve should be as close to the aquarium as possible, so yes, it goes after the bubble counter. The purpose of the check valve is to keep aquarium water from siphoning out the CO2 line in the reverse direction, so obviously you will want the check valve as close as possible to the output of the CO2 line, without putting it inside the aquarium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.