The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is $65 for a filled new 10lb. Aluminum canister a decent price?
Is $10 for 10lb refill while I wait OK?
Any idea (roughly) how long 10lbs. will last on 10hrs a day maintaining 25ppm on an Azoo Regulator + Solenoid on a 75g with 134w?
Why Aluminum? The steel ones are a lot cheaper and the lady says that they still aren't that heavy. Are there issues other than weight?

Just trying to decide if I want to use CO2 on my new tank or not and to understand the prices. Thanks in advance for any help. Will probably buy everything tomorrow.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Because they are shiny? :) hehehe No really, they are lighter in weight compared to a steel tank.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
That is a really good price!

I bought a new aluminum 10lb filled for $100 and to refill it cost $15. I got the aluminum cause of weight and I like shiny things! but really the co2 places near me want a bit much and the LFS's actually fill them instead of replacing them so I figured why not.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. thanks everybody. yeah, i called around to 5 places. most wanted $85 for 10lb filled, but one place that specializes in canisters wants only $65. They charge $15 for 10# refills, but another place closer to me charges only $10 (cash payments only).

I understand on steel v. aluminum. There seems no real reason (fish health or my safety) to get aluminum, but because the price is so good, I will get it anyways.

thanks for help. pics soon when starting tank journal.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the Drs.Fostersmith "Semi-Auto" combo, and this is my first experience with pressurized... anyone care to explain this to me, pretty please?:

I don't know how to adjust the step-down valve (hell, I don't even know where it is :icon_redf ). I've got the needle valve figured out, but it is way to sensitive, so I need to reduce the working pressure(?) at least that is how I think it would work.

any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey not tring to thread jack but i found a 100lb co2 tank for 100 bucks and it costs 55 bucks to refill with a 24 hour turn around how long would a tank this size last in a 55 or a 90? thanks in adavance

·
Registered
210 Posts
No im getting married on the 12th of may how big is huge? Will i be able to hide this thing? cause she just might kill me if someone asks whats that metal thing doing in your living room.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No im getting married on the 12th of may how big is huge? Will i be able to hide this thing? cause she just might kill me if someone asks whats that metal thing doing in your living room.
Well, if I recall correctly, when I worked at a hardware store that sold propane, a 100lb propane tank weighed almost 200 pounds full and was something like 4-5 feet tall.... Obviously CO2 requires a different kind of tank, but you get the idea...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh crap how am I going to hide that? I would have to build a cabinet to hide it and even then I would need to build a matching stand. This all sounds like a good thing to me.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
100 lb tank is around 4 feet long IIRC. You can do what some other people have done, which is to put the tank in the basement and plumb the lines through the walls with a jack out the wall behind your tank. Then as you get more tanks, you could just start splitting it off. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
A 50 lb is 4' tall and 8" in diameter. The 100 might be just a hair taller and it's going to be bigger around. I sure hope it's aluminum otherwise the cylinder alone will run about 150 or more lbs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts