The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank that has right at 2WPG and I plan on adding more light soon. But I am all ready having a bad time with BBA. I don't mind it being on my rocks, wood, intakes, heater, etc. But it's growing on the plants leaves and making them curl up and die. I think it's really hampering there growth, Right?

Anyway, I'm going to try and go to pressurized co2 for Christmas, and would love to hear experienced opinions on it. I'll probably be going with a paintball type because there isn't anywhere else around here that has CO2. And I'll probably get the tank from them too. So mainly I need help picking the regulator etc.

I was looking at this from Red Sea. But I don't see a solenoid with it. The one with the solenoid is like $50 more. Can you get by without a solenoid? What exactly is it for?

Any other recommendations for cheaper systems/regulators are welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
What would be the reason to increase your lighting? Paintball cylinder wont last but 2 weeks on a tank this large. Have you tried welding supply shops for co2? Also try Fire Extinguisher refill shops.

I would do more searching until you can find a source for co2. Paintball is very small for a 75G tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That 2 watts per gallon could be too little, if the lights are T12 shop lights. But, since you have BBA problems, I'm going to bet that you have T5HO lights, and for T5HO lights 2 watts per gallon is very high light intensity unless the lights are hanging well above the top of the tank.

I agree with Orlando about the CO2 regulator/tank set-up. The way to save a lot of money on CO2 regulators is to haunt Ebay looking for a suitable industrial/laboratory regulator selling at a low price, and assembling it with a solenoid valve and needle valve yourself. That gets you a very good regulator, as good a needle valve as you can use, and the solenoid valve that lets you run high CO2 during the day without suffocating the fish at night. If you can't or don't want to DIY the assembly of the regulator, buying one from GLA or a few other internet stores is the best idea. They use higher quality regulators than are used on Milwaukee type regulator assemblies.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 75 gallon tank that has right at 2WPG and I plan on adding more light soon. But I am all ready having a bad time with BBA. I don't mind it being on my rocks, wood, intakes, heater, etc. But it's growing on the plants leaves and making them curl up and die. I think it's really hampering there growth, Right?

Anyway, I'm going to try and go to pressurized co2 for Christmas, and would love to hear experienced opinions on it. I'll probably be going with a paintball type because there isn't anywhere else around here that has CO2. And I'll probably get the tank from them too. So mainly I need help picking the regulator etc.

I was looking at this from Red Sea. But I don't see a solenoid with it. The one with the solenoid is like $50 more. Can you get by without a solenoid? What exactly is it for?

Any other recommendations for cheaper systems/regulators are welcome!

Thanks!
Solenoids make it so you can time the CO2 on/off by plugging them into a timer. It's better for the fish, and you waste at least 50% less CO2. It pays for its self within a year or two.

From there get the bubble counter of your choice ($10 entry level) and if it doesn't come with the bubble counter, a good check valve ($5) from there it's just a matter of choosing your method of diffusing the CO2, so perhaps $10-$90. I'm bias towards needlewheels; excellent distribution, and only about $10-30. From there, order in a CO2 cylinder if you have to but odds are a welding supply will cover it. These run about $90 for a 10lb

In all, you can get a better system than the red sea for the same price.

-Philosophos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.