The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would adding carbonated water have any effect on useable co2 for plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes it would, but unless you have a plant-only tank I wouldn't bother.

I once added one liter of water that I carbonated (using a Sodastream) into a 10 gallon tank with fish in it. This was a horrible idea. Essentially what I did was cause an immediate PH swing and all the fish immediately started gasping and swimming erratically. I quickly netted them all out into another tank and managed to save them all, but I would never repeat that experiment again.

Just get a pressurized (or maybe DIY) CO2 setup, unless you are only growing plants in the tank, in which case go nuts with the soda.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes it would, but unless you have a plant-only tank I wouldn't bother.

I once added one liter of water that I carbonated (using a Sodastream) into a 10 gallon tank with fish in it. This was a horrible idea. Essentially what I did was cause an immediate PH swing and all the fish immediately started gasping and swimming erratically. I quickly netted them all out into another tank and managed to save them all, but I would never repeat that experiment again.

Just get a pressurized (or maybe DIY) CO2 setup, unless you are only growing plants in the tank, in which case go nuts with the soda.

Lol that is exactly what I was thinking of trying...but thank you for saving me, and my fishies the trouble haha

Still I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried something similar with fish...maybe in more gradual doses, like a liter over the course of a day

So no on anyone else having experimented with carbonated water in a livestocked tank??

Also does anybody know if liquid co2 supplements like excel or api co2 booster are effective? I'm sure they help, but will they serve as a stand in to co2 hungry species when there is no pressurized co2?

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Also does anybody know if liquid co2 supplements like excel or api co2 booster are effective? I'm sure they help, but will they serve as a stand in to co2 hungry species when there is no pressurized co2?
They work, but are nowhere near as effective as CO2.

In addition, some plants are sensitive to glutaraldehyde.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They work, but are nowhere near as effective as CO2.

In addition, some plants are sensitive to glutaraldehyde.

Thanks, I'll have to do a little research and make sure all my plants are compatible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts