The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure where else to post this
i have the co2 tube feeding into my intake on the filter filter so the bubbles get diced up

im wondering if it makes a big difference if the spray bar (output ) is pointing down toward the substrate or if it can be pointing up to move the water on the surface w.o losing co2

I was told if the top water is moving it helps aerate the water without causing real surface disturbance

does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Increasing the surface movement will increase CO2 loss. However, it also can increase oxygen levels allowing for higher CO2 levels. CO2 is cheap. It's better to have a good surface ripple to oxygenate water and keep the surface scum broken up IMO.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Increasing the surface movement will increase CO2 loss. However, it also can increase oxygen levels allowing for higher CO2 levels. CO2 is cheap. It's better to have a good surface ripple to oxygenate water and keep the surface scum broken up IMO.
hmmm
well the tank is very heavily planted and i havent had issues with surface algae
i was mainly worried about the fish not getting enough oxygen
this past 2 days is my first time ever running a tank without an airstone or a hob filter and it feels like every move the fish make i wanna chalk it up to low oxygen, give up and throw the airstone back in

just want to make sure im doing it right

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
At least you're watching your fish for changes! That's better than most people do when starting CO2 injection. Many fixate on a drop checker or PH change ignoring fish. You want a nice surface ripple without actually breaking the surface. Adjust CO2 SLOWLY. Give it a few days between small changes. When you see the behaviors changing you'll know. Then you can turn back the CO2 a notch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts