The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I have setup my modertaly planted cherry shrimp tank (10 gallon). I am using a T8 light setup...I would say about 80% of the plants fall into the medium light category while 20% (around substrate level) fall into the low light category....my question is...I have thought about injecting pressurized CO2 into this tank...probably at a rate of 1 bubble every 3-4 seconds. Does anyone have experience with adding CO2 with these guys? How do you think they will handle it? Is that CO2 too much or not enough? If I leave the tank running 24/7 should I add an airstone at night?

Plants include
Red Ludwigia
Bacopa
Water Wisteria
Various Crypts
Java Fern
Java Moss

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok...so, ill make sure I have that drop checker ready to go....my theory is...even a bit of CO2 in the tank is better than no CO2 right? (for the plants that is)

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
If your plants seem to be growing fine I wouldn't do anything different.

If you do decide to add CO2 you should minimize the surface agitation (no airstone) or you'll be wasting the CO2. If you plan on having the CO2 run 24/7 and decide to run the airstone just at night I would instead just turn the CO2 off at night (saves electricity and CO2). It'll end up being the same effect due to the surface agitation from the airstone.

I also have a 10gallon moderately planted tank with ~50 RCS and all the plants do well and grow.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your plants seem to be growing fine I wouldn't do anything different.

If you do decide to add CO2 you should minimize the surface agitation (no airstone) or you'll be wasting the CO2. If you plan on having the CO2 run 24/7 and decide to run the airstone just at night I would instead just turn the CO2 off at night (saves electricity and CO2). It'll end up being the same effect due to the surface agitation from the airstone.

I also have a 10gallon moderately planted tank with ~50 RCS and all the plants do well and grow.
do you use CO2 in the tank? Im just torn on adding some co2....or using flourish excel...or just doing nothing.....tank hasnt been up for long enough to assess the plant growth....so perhaps I should wait?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
At 1 bubble per 3 to 4 sec, I think that's too low. At that rate, you probably don't need to use any sort of pressurized CO2. I will shoot for 1 bps at least. As long as you can't do head counts on the shrimps you have, you will always suspect your CO2 level is the problem. I think you need to know your priority first. Plants or shrimps??? :) My Red Cherry shrimps are fine, although I only have 3 or 4 of them in my heavily stocked 40g tank, running at 3 to 4 bps pressurized CO2. Suspecting my CO2 level in the range of 40 ppm to 50 ppm, based on the CO2 chart using your pH and KH readings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.