The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going to a presuzied CO2 kit for both of my tanks (20Gal and 55 Gal).

While looking for the equipment I have found it to be very expensive, but only when related to Aquariums. For instance I have found lots of links such as this kithttp://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-Kegerator-Kit-for-Keg-Draft-Beer-5lb-Co2-Tank_W0QQitemZ300119269832QQihZ020QQcategoryZ53189QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (price will depend on when you look) that are 1/2 the price for all the equipment.

Is there any reason NOT to buy the kit ment for Keg's but used for fish tanks?

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
The only reason to buy it for an aquarium is it will have the needle valve and and a senenoid already on it. You can buy one ment for brewing but then you will need at least a needle valve and maybe other equipment. I have always bought my aquarium regulators (or had Rex Grigg make me one) and then bought the CO2 cannister locally at a brewing or welding shop.

If your two tanks are next to each other (or close enough to run a line) you can always get a manifold (Rex sells them or you can get them online) and split the CO2 into the two different tanks which will save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
That kit is more expensive than you think.

About $170 shipped.

And of that you get the regulator and the cylinder. That's an inexpensive regulator, about $40 and the cylinder is about $60.

And you would still need a needle valve, check valve, fittings and adapters, solenoid......the list goes on.

Since you want to feed two tanks you are best off getting a regulator built to do that.

If you want a manual system that would run you about $130 for the regulator (from my equipment). Controlled system would be a bit more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would personally suggest you look into Rex's suggestion above and craigslist a need for the CO2 tank. It worked great for me. You may not get a "pretty, shiny" tank, but funtion is most important here. As for me, I got a pretty, shiny, funtional 20Ib full of CO2 off craigslist for $40! It was from a coffee shop that was shutting it's doors.

Good luck... With that route you can probably be setup for around $150 total for the manual setup, with everything needed!

Do realise that it may take a little bit to find someone to respond to your WTB on craigslist, but your area should have a lot of people on there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aquanut415 - I understand that I posted the link becuase it had a pic but I saw them selling this stuff on creigslist for like 45.00

oblongshrimp - this pretty much answers my question, I just wanted to know if it could be done sounds like a sorta which is about what I thought

PRESTON4479 - A lot of ppl told me not to buy this kit, but I don't remember why now?? You say it works well for you huh?

Rex Grigg - So 130.00 for the regulator, then how much for the full manual set-up ( I assume manual means it is not automaticly controled, not that I have to do more, or am I wrong?)

JFouts - So I guess you are answering the above question, your saying I buy the regulator from rex and a tank and I am good to go or do I need more.

Other questions - How do presurized systems work differently then the DIY system I am running now, meaning I fill up my canisters once a week and then thats it, what else do I need to do with the "fancy set-up"?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have had no problems with this kit. The only change I made was the reactor they provide because it didn't seem like it could keep the co2 levels where I wanted them. But that was solved when I got the rhinox 2000 diffuser. This kit has worked great for me. Also I get my 20oz paint ball bottle refilled every 2-3 months and keep a spare on hand so I can just swap them out. I also like it because it is small and easy to hide.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
See www.bestaquariumregulator.com for my CO2 regulators.

Comparing pressurized to DIY is like comparing a skateboard to a Ford F150 truck.

There is no comparison. With the right system you will be able to set the bubble rate and walk away. Check the system once a month to see if the cylinder needs to be filled. That's pretty much it.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Comparing pressurized to DIY is like comparing a skateboard to a Ford F150 truck.

There is no comparison. With the right system you will be able to set the bubble rate and walk away. Check the system once a month to see if the cylinder needs to be filled. That's pretty much it.
I agree with Rex. There really is no comparison. If you have the money go pressurized.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Which one would I need to have 1 CO2 tank and run 2 tanks off of it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread but Rex I was just wondering if you use a pH controller or not? Or if you jsut set the bubble rate or whatever each month?? Just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would recommend a ph controller as a precaution (to protect your fish) and it also gives you a good idea how much co2 your putting in.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I don't use a controller. I have not messed with the bubble rate on any of my regulators in months, or at least since I installed new hardware.

A good regulator/needle valve combo is pretty much a set it and forget it item.

iroc. Pick which regulator you want. Manual or controlled. Now decide with needle valve you want. Add a Ultra Mini Manifold (handles up to three aquariums). After that email or PM me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts