The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been reading up on increasing or keeping a stable CO2 production and found that in order for it to prduce CO2 you must have warm water in your bottle/ container. Now after reading that I went to go check it and it was a bit on the cool side. How can I warm the water in the CO2 bottle up? I have been noticing a drop in CO2 production and its quite aggrivating!(Sorry about any spelling errors!:proud:)

-James

·
Registered
711 Posts
I used to put the bottles (3 of them) in a regangular deep bucket and fill it half way with water ,put a heater and a small powerhead in it and keep the temprature around 72-75 degree.it worked well enough to supply a 100g.tank .

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you have the patience to do it ,yes it's the same thing,but you only have to remove a small amount and replenish with very hot water ,which will mix with the cold water right away and will be the right temp. for a good few hours.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you have a styrofoam container or even a thick piece of it, you could set the DIY bottle on it or in it and the water would remain warm a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
i have 2 2-liter bottles chained together for a 20g tank, got a steady 25ppm co2. the temperature around the bottle is about 60-65 degrees, keep the apartment fairly cold here... no need to heat the bottles, IMHO.

adding heated water all the time sounds like a waste of hot water and a PITA.

is your co2 output lower than you'd like? don't just go on "what you've read," look at your situation.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you can get your hands on a styrofoam box, that they use to transport vaccines in, nothing better to hold your DIY CO2 bottles in an water bath. An aerator and a heater would help to make it fool-proof.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Heat pads get expensive after a while. Just make a styrofoam box that will fit the bottles. It's a bit of work in the beginning, but you can keep using it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well since I noticed it I have not noticed any bubbles in the tank coming from the air stone. I used to see very small bubbles but now I see none!

Are you sure you don't have a leak?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I use a small electric heating pad, My DIY CO2 is directly under a really drafty window and I'm too poor and busy to try the heated water thing. I put the heat pad on one side and a baby blanket (or a towel as a substitute) on the other. My electricity is included in my rent every week so luckily I don't have to pay it myself.
Are you using the recipe I gave you or did you try a different recipe?

·
Registered
673 Posts
James from Cali,

I am sure you have an old T-shirt in that closet of yours. With Lukewarm water, just wrap an old T-shirt and it should be fine. Okay secret is out!

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I used to use DIY CO2 I eventually got to the point where I just set the bottle on top of the aquarium light fixture. This kept it warm making it produce more CO2 for a longer time. It reduced the need for a check valve which kept eventually getting stuck and failing on me. It also provided an easy means for me to monitor the bottle visually since it was out in plain sight instead of being hidden and forgotten. It was easy to see when the bottle was running down and needed to be re-started.

The only drawback to this was that it was out in plain sight for everyone to see and question "What's that icky looking bottle for?".

I found in that case I prefered functionality over appearance.

I've since gone to pressurized CO2, which like most people who have taken the plunge, I like much better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was actually thinking about the same thing. I was thinking I could use an under tank heat mat. Like the type you use on reptiles. I have a bunch of heat tape that I used for DIY heat mats and was thinking of using this to heat my DIY Co2 system but I'm not sure if it's too hot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts