The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is really looking great. My light to nutrients to co2 must be in good balance. Almost no algae growth. Great plant growth happy fish. Heres the rub. I want my glosso to spread out. I am adding another t5ho light. I know to keep the balance i may need to increase my nutrients and co2 production. Right now i use 4 - 1liter bottles, i change each of them monthly. I want to increase production without increasing depletion rate. I think i should swap one or two of the four with 1.5 to 2 liter bottles. I would increase the sugar and yeast in proportion to the water in the bottle. Would this increase co2 production? Or would it be better to add more 1liter bottles?

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Switching to 2 L bottles, but maintaining the same ratios should generate more CO2.

However, I am unsure of your CO2 switching routine. Do you switch all your bottles out after 1 month?

You might be able to get a more steady flow of CO2 if you were to stagger the swap outs to (say) every 2 weeks instead.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Increasing light will increase CO2 consumption by plants.

But it will not increase CO2 loss to the atmosphere, and I figure in most tanks, that's where most of the CO2 actually goes.

So increasing lights may result in a surprisingly insignificant drop in CO2 level.

Having an advance plan is great, but let your drop checker show you what's really going on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Switching to 2 L bottles, but maintaining the same ratios should generate more CO2.

However, I am unsure of your CO2 switching routine. Do you switch all your bottles out after 1 month?

You might be able to get a more steady flow of CO2 if you were to stagger the swap outs to (say) every 2 weeks instead.
No. What i do is this. I change one bottle every week in rotation. I date the bottle to know which bottle is due. This keeps the flow very regular. Thanx everyone for your advice. I will increase the light, first, then monitor algae growth. If there is a great change i will swap out a couple of the bottles for larger ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.