The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together a 16 gallon planted tank. This is my second planted tank. I didn't have much problem with Co2 in my first tank. The past few days my indicator (I use the Red Sea CO2 indicator) has show too much CO2. However, I won't even have my CO2 on. In fact, the indicator is saying there is too much CO2 and it hasn't even been on for 24 hours. What do you think about this? Do you think the indicator is faulty? The fish seem fine and active. Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've never used the RedSea indicator, but it seems likely that it is not functioning properly. If you aren't even running your co2 yet, the levels would be very low.

Are you using a known dKH solution in the indicator, or are you using tank water? Without using a known solution, co2 indicators are pretty worthless

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I
Are you using a known dKH solution in the indicator, or are you using tank water? Without using a known solution, co2 indicators are pretty worthless
x2...

I am pretty sure the Red Sea indicator is one of the ones that comes with faulty instructions that tell you to use tank water in it... no mention of needing 4dKH. If you are using tank water the indicator doesn't tell you anything of value so it isn't surprising to hear that it shows high CO2 when there is no CO2 on.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts