The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Probably a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway. My DIY CO2 is going strong, with about 1-2 bps in the second bottle. But, the problem is that is doesn't seem as if there is enough pressure to actually push it through in to the tank. I can see where the air stops in the tube going towards my filter intake, it is about 1-2 inches below the water surface. If I squeeze the bottle, I can push some bubbles through, but it won't do it by itself.

Is there possibly a leak in the second part of the system? Should I just check all connections? Any advice on anything that could help would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
What's your setup like? and how many gallons is your fish tank? I used to do a 2 Liter gatorade bottle (harder plastic) which connected to a mini gatorade bottle as a gas seperator/bubble counter. My mix for the 2 liter was:
2 cups of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of red star wine yeast
I'd activate the yeast before i put it in the bottle
Mine diffused through a nano glass diffuser fine..i siliconed the bottom of the caps, just to be safe..but there was no need because the hole i drilled was smaller than the airline. might just take some time to build up enough pressure to start pushing out the co2..so if you do all this and give it a day or two you should be fine

·
Registered
429 Posts
Depending on how new the yeast mixture is you're using, you may not have a problem at all. I've had batches randomly take 3 days to get going, only to start up fine eventually.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasser, that is what I was thinking.

My setup is a 2 liter, with the second bottle a medium sized Gatorade bottle. It is pumping to a 20 Long. Mixture is 2 cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon Fleichmans Activated Yeast, and some baking soda. I drilled holes that were smaller than the diameter of the tubing as well, as they were hard to pull through the holes. So I am gonna silicone the holes and see if that helps.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
Put some soapy water around the area where the tubing goes through the cap. Spit works too :flick:

Do you have anything at the end of the tubing? Or is it open? If it is open, there is hardly any backpressure, which means you'd have a pretty decent leak somewhere.

Does the Gatorade bottle cap seal the bottle well? Sometimes you cross-thread the cap, and even though you tighten it, it will not seal.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Leaks are a bane for DIY CO2 system. They happen and sometimes the leaks are small enough to activate only when pressure has built up. Leave the system alone for an hour and then without disturbing the system check with soapy water brushed on every joint staring with the bottle and cap and then from the point of exit of the CO2 tube from the cap to the point of its entry into the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts