The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am having a problem with my co2 rig.... here is what happens...

i turn the needle valve to 2 BPS then leave it till tomorrow and check back at it and it reads at .5 BPS so then i turn it just a little bit and it just back to 2 BPS and the next day its back down to .5 BPS and repeats the same....

the more i turn it up little by little it starts to do 3 BPS then the next day i check it, its back to like .5-1 BPS and etc....

regulator is set at 30psi and co2 tank is full... and using a jbj bubble counter and a Parker H3L meter valve

setup can be seen here with photo:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196641&highlight=

so is there something wrong? should i keep changing it even if ever turn the BPS goes higher? which i think will then add to much co2 into my tank and kill all my shrimps which is not what i am planning on looking forward to

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I would check your bubble counters for cracks. Also, considering you may have 3 tanks running off the one reg, you may need to turn up the psi to maybe 40 or so. Other possible problems might be some debris in the needle valve, or a leak somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checks it all no leaks it only happens when the solenoid turns off then turns on the next morning then it happens...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
ok so i am having a problem with my co2 rig.... here is what happens...

i turn the needle valve to 2 BPS then leave it till tomorrow and check back at it and it reads at .5 BPS so then i turn it just a little bit and it just back to 2 BPS and the next day its back down to .5 BPS and repeats the same....

the more i turn it up little by little it starts to do 3 BPS then the next day i check it, its back to like .5-1 BPS and etc....

regulator is set at 30psi and co2 tank is full... and using a jbj bubble counter and a Parker H3L meter valve

setup can be seen here with photo:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196641&highlight=

so is there something wrong? should i keep changing it even if ever turn the BPS goes higher? which i think will then add to much co2 into my tank and kill all my shrimps which is not what i am planning on looking forward to
Hi Bryanmc1988,

I see you are running three needle valves off of your regulator, what is the secondary (operating) pressure going to your needle valves? Which needle valve are you having trouble adjusting the closest to the regulator, middle, or the furthest from the regulator?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the plastic part of the jbj bubbe counter is the thing holding water it doesnt have a leak or crack or it wont hold the liquid... the rest are brass assumming u never had one or else you would know that... all jbj are brass and no there is no leak....

seattle:
all the 3 valve are running on 1 psi as they are al linked together.... and there is a meter valve for each tank... 1 is the far left one is close and the other 2 are being used... and both that are being used are having the same problems... not sure why this is happening as non of them has any leaks or cracks...

the co2 goes in the regulator and comes out as 30psi which then needs to pass the solenoid and then to the main "pipe" which ll 3 meter valve are connected to the main pipe... so when one meter valve is open the other so calls get less co2 flow if i am correct but with the meter valve opened so low i dont think the 30psi inside the main pipe has any issue fulling up before the co2 pass through the meter valve...

the 2 valve that are being used is running at -
valve 1 - 2 BPS
valve 2 - 1 BPS

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I have had plenty. I was just suggesting the most likely culprit. If the leak was at the top, you wouldn't loose any liquid...

What are you using for diffusion?

Have you checked the pressure release valve on the regulator?

Have you tried a higher psi?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
seattle:
all the 3 valve are running on 1 psi as they are al linked together.... and there is a meter valve for each tank... 1 is the far left one is close and the other 2 are being used... and both that are being used are having the same problems... not sure why this is happening as non of them has any leaks or cracks...

the co2 goes in the regulator and comes out as 30psi which then needs to pass the solenoid and then to the main "pipe" which ll 3 meter valve are connected to the main pipe... so when one meter valve is open the other so calls get less co2 flow if i am correct but with the meter valve opened so low i dont think the 30psi inside the main pipe has any issue fulling up before the co2 pass through the meter valve...

the 2 valve that are being used is running at -
valve 1 - 2 BPS
valve 2 - 1 BPS
I would think that 30 PSI would be enough, that said I run 24 PSI with just two needle valves running off my regulator. I know that I assume my gauges are accurate, but sometimes they are not. You might try moving up your secondary pressure to 35 PSI an see if there is any improvement. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
true but that only happens when its off then turns back on the next day so when its turn up it release alot of co2 during that time....

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
true but that only happens when its off then turns back on the next day so when its turn up it release alot of co2 during that time....
Hi Bryanmc1988,

Do as you see fit, but if you don't want to try to change anything then chances are what you have is the best it will be.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have turn my meter valve up to let more co2 in now... plants seem to be happy about it and pearling and my shrimps dont seem to be stressing out or hanging around at the top but thats only cause i change it mid day... so i'll leave it till tmr and check back at the co2 and monitor the shrimps all day tmr till co2 shuts off and see if they are doing fine or stressing... we will soon find out tmr wont we lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had similar problems. When my selenoid would click on, I would get normal bubble counts but slowly would drop to only 1 per second. It turns out to be a clogged check valve. I had a plastic check valve placed inline with a brass one because I was getting water creeping toward my regulator from my reactor. Turned out the CO2 disintegrated the plastic check valve, effectively clogging it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so what your saying is if the check valve on the inline thats coming from the bubble counter is clog it could slow down the bubble rate?

confusing but here is what i mean....

|===| -> ------- -> ||||| -> ------ -> (((((()))))

|===| = bubble counter outlet
------- = air tubbing
||||| = Check valve
(((((())))) = co2 Reactor/diffuser

so if the check valve is clog it will slow the bubbles coming out of the bubble counter? i would assume that if there was a clog and no enough co2 escape that the air line tubing will pop as its pressure co2 and will continue to build up to 30psi which i dont believe air line tubing can hold that much pressure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts