The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just purchased a Hydor CO2 kit and just wondering how many bubbles per minute I should have on my tank, its a 30 gallon tank, see link on signature.
At the moment I am running two Nutrafin DIY CO2 bottles.

In the instructions it says I should run it at 10 or 12 bubbles per minute, which the disposable canister will last me 90-100 days, is this right???

I have these type of diffusors:

Many thanks

Your help much appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
No, that's not right. A DIY mixture (or tablets) will run probably about a month.

You can set the bubble rate of DIY CO2 either. Don't worry, with DIY CO2, you probably won't make enough CO2 to gas your livestock.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that's not right. A DIY mixture (or tablets) will run probably about a month.
You can set the bubble rate of DIY CO2 either. Don't worry, with DIY CO2, you probably won't make enough CO2 to gas your livestock.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I run Nutrafin DIY at the moment, but I just purchased a Hydor Pressurised CO2 system with the tiny cylinders and in the instructions it says I should run it at 10 or 12 bubbles per minute, is this right???

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about one of these?
http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/aquarium-co2.htm
Interesting...never seen it before. You should really use a drop checker to see how many bps you need to get to optimal levels.
Thanks but I can tell the diference between yeast and pressurised ;)

Its one of these: http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=194_247&products_id=656

I have a permenent CO2 test kit on my aqua I guess I will start low and increase as needed as Wasserpest sugested.

Many thanks :)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
*cough* I did link you to a pressurized system...the exact same system you linked me to. Notice the pictures are the same? And the 3rd box has a picture of a cylinder?

I was just wondering if it was the same system you were talking about because this is the first time I've heard of a Hydor pressurized CO2 system. All my Google searches turned up .uk sites.

The Red Sea paintball kit is more popular here I think.

No need to get defensive. Sheesh.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks epicfish, guess it was my fault for being in a rush and not reading your second post properly :| apologies

Got this on ebay for £35 which I thought was a bargain with a full cylinder. thanks for you help :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yeah the hydor kit says you can get 247 days at 4 bpm. But realistically you're gonna wanna be in the 1-2 bub per second. So the little can that comes with the hydor isn't going to last long at all. There is an adapter that lets you use real fullsized CO2 cylinders with that unit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah the hydor kit says you can get 247 days at 4 bpm. But realistically you're gonna wanna be in the 1-2 bub per second. So the little can that comes with the hydor isn't going to last long at all. There is an adapter that lets you use real fullsized CO2 cylinders with that unit.
Thanks for the info, do you know which adapter that is and where I can purchase one?

Many thanks :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts