The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
After scouring the web for some CO2 system troubleshooting pages I have come up short with my issue, and I was hoping someone could help!

I recently set up a 10 gallon hex shrimp tank to run off of the same CO2 system my 30 gallon heavily planted tank runs off of. I have a 20 oz Tippmann tank running to a (amazon china) regulator and then a splitter. I've got each output of the splitter on a bubble counter to individually control each flow rate.

Here's the problem.

I'm wondering if it takes a while for the pressure in the lines to build up or not. The reason I ask is, when the timer goes off in the morning to open the solenoid, no gas will come out of my diffusers (with the bubble counters running about 2 bubbles a second) unless I bump the valves and get it running, and even then, it slowly trails off until it stops. I've seen other forums that say to increase the working pressure of the regulator, and I did, and it didn't do much other than make the needle valves more sensitive. The diffuser in my 10 is a long stainless fibst, and the one in my 30 is a glass (cheaper) diffuser from my LFS. The glass one in my 30 seems to fill with water, is that normal?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
150 Posts
First thing to look for is leaks. If co2 is leaking it wont pressurize corrcetly. Make a soapy solution of dish soap and water or buy gas leak detector solution, and spray it on all joints, fittings etc, anywherenit could leak and see if theres a leak somwwhere first.

·
Registered
216 Posts
On My tanks it takes 10 minutes from the time the solenoid switches on till Co2 starts appearing out of the diffuser disc. Depending on the length of the tube after the needle valve and how clogged the diffuser disc is, this duration may vary. Some times the CO2 tube is partially filled with water and the Co2 has to push this out building pressure slowly as you are building pressure at 2 bps. The volume of co2 that is allowed by the needle valve is controlled and it will take time to build the pressure on the other side of the needle valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts