The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up co2 tank for my aquarium with a co2 art regulator. When I went to sleep yesterday, everything looked fine. Today morning, I see that the pressure dropped to 0. I turned off the main co2 valve and turned it back ON again. The pressure went up to ~800 psi. Any idea what could be wrong here?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
uh.... Is there an extra valve or is this pressure meter after the solenoid? Maybe it was off so would obvioulsy record a lower pressure in co2, this is of course assuming it's on a timer, which it should be.

Otherwise, maybe again, timer goes off, and there is a minor leak between the two gauges/regulators so all the pressure leaks out when the power is pulled. This is my original guess, but I am hoping you don't have a leak.

not all regulators are created equal. a photo could be very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uh.... Is there an extra valve or is this pressure meter after the solenoid? Maybe it was off so would obvioulsy record a lower pressure in co2, this is of course assuming it's on a timer, which it should be.

Otherwise, maybe again, timer goes off, and there is a minor leak between the two gauges/regulators so all the pressure leaks out when the power is pulled. This is my original guess, but I am hoping you don't have a leak.

not all regulators are created equal. a photo could be very helpful.
Thanks. Here is a photo. The main display that shows ~800 now was showing 0.
The issue happened when the solenoid was ON. It was OFF at night, and not sure if it becoming ON in the morning created a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I recently set up co2 tank for my aquarium with a co2 art regulator. When I went to sleep yesterday, everything looked fine. Today morning, I see that the pressure dropped to 0. I turned off the main co2 valve and turned it back ON again. The pressure went up to ~800 psi. Any idea what could be wrong here?
Well it doesn't make any sense is why nobody probably had any suggestions.
High pressure gauge is an open channel so to speak from the tank to the regulator.
Only real way, short of emptying the entire tank is to shut the tank valve off.

If the gauge is bad that's one possibility though it shouldn't drop to zero.
Simplistic diagram but the thing to notice is the high pressure gauge (right side) is functionally not really part of the regulator:

So if your tanks not empty and the tank valve is open guess it's just a defective gauge doing very strange things I can't explain
OR dirt in the CO2 tank valve shutting off the flow from the tank. Internal rust flakes? Now that would be a problem if your regulator doesn't have an intake filter.
Going more into the improbable a leak by the regulator valve and moisture could freeze up the valve but pretty sure you would notice frost on it.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it doesn't make any sense is why nobody probably had any suggestions.
High pressure gauge is an open channel so to speak from the tank to the regulator.
Only real way, short of emptying the entire tank is to shut the tank valve off.

If the gauge is bad that's one possibility though it shouldn't drop to zero.
Simplistic diagram but the thing to notice is the high pressure gauge (right side) is functionally not really part of the regulator:

So if your tanks not empty and the tank valve is open guess it's just a defective gauge doing very strange things I can't explain
OR dirt in the CO2 tank valve shutting off the flow from the tank. Internal rust flakes? Now that would be a problem if your regulator doesn't have an intake filter.
Going more into the improbable a leak by the regulator valve and moisture could freeze up the valve but pretty sure you would notice frost on it.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. I have let it run for a while, and it seems to run fine. I'll keep checking. It could be some dirt as you said. I'll keep checking and update you guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.