The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally noticed a ph swing in my tank after upping CO2. Normally ph is around 6.6-6.8. This morning after CO2 was on for several hours it tested at about 6.0. Later after CO2 was off for a bit it was back up to 6.4.

My question for today is: is running 2 sessions of lights & CO2 each day bad or indifferent on the lifestock? Schedule below. Will that ph swing up/down/up/down Have a negative impact on the fish? Or plants for that matter?

Current CO2/lighting schedule

CO2- on 5am-12pm & 330pm-6pm

Lighting- included fluval flex 15g led lamp.
Lights on 530am - 11am & 4pm-9pm. Start lights just red until 6am then turn on white light lowest setting then gradually ramp up white light over 30 minutes. I keep it at about 50% to hopefully hold off too much algae. Sort of reverse that in the evening except moonlight then red light last 60-90 minutes. No clue to as to what these light levels are.

I am considering just running the CO2 during the morning. Maybe 4am-11am and leave the light schedule as is (thats for me). Good amount of ambient light in room.

Thank you

·
Registered
239 Posts
the siesta/split lighting schedule was advocated for those without pressurized co2. you can go to one lighting period of 6 - 7 hours, shoot for a 1 pt pH drop by the time lights come on. increase co2. increase surface agitation 24/7, this is the most important factor in helping you to quickly reach ~30ppm at lights on and maintain it throughout the photoperiod.

running it from 4 to 11 would result in less than optimal co2 levels during the 2nd lighting period; not only will it be lower initially but it will continue to drop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.