The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to do a overdose of CO2 on plants? I'm just wondering If I could crank up the co2 in my 75g to help the swords grow faster? As I have just planted them and would like to get the plants well established before I get fish.

Could I use CO2 to kill snails, and not effect the plants? Id like to get rid of the ramshorns [sp?] as Iv heard they can eat swords. Well I have a 75g full of JUST SWORDS :icon_eek:

There are NO FISH in the tank yet.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
A overdose will probably help the plants a lot, but you will also need a lot of light as well. Don't forget the balancing factor. =) If co2 is high, so will the light has to be. The snails will probably crawl out and go above water level. If you want to get rid of ramshorns or snails, use a bait and manually remove them. Since you do not have fish, you may up the co2 if you wish, but your light has to be strong as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Different aquatic plants have different CO2 consumption needs. Your sword plants may well benefit from the increased CO2 you're contemplating but if you do elevate CO2 levels, remember that you'd also have to increase the lighting as Neon mentions, and you'd also have to be sure that your fertilization levels are adequate. If you don't address all three issues at the same time, then you're bound to wind up with plants that don't benefit and more than likely suffer because of a profusion of unwanted adventitious algae.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You can do a temporary CO2 burst to get rid of your snails. I did this (pumped pressurized CO2 into my tank like mad) and all my snails started climbing to the top of the tank, where I scooped them out.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You definitely have to add additional NPK and traces if you up the co2 and light. Why not suck up the snails with a hose during water changes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts