The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHHH HELP!!!! I cranked my CO2 just a little bit yesterday and everything seemed fine... Till I came home and found one of my YoYo's laying on its side and a few of my Ottos swimming funny.... I know its the CO2 as all fish are not active.... what sould I do now?

Hurry Help... I have since cut the BPS rate in half.... anything else? water change or just wait it out?

thanks Josh

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so 1 Yoyo is still on its side not moving but breathing.. one Otto is also on its side and is breathing but also not moving.... I have adjusted the spray bar to ripple to top of the water causing it to splash...

Do I leave the Yoyo and Otto in the tank? Or consider them history?

Thanks Josh

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
leave them in and reduce the water level for LOTS of splashing

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
first off.. shut the co2 off and....... breathe, relax. It will be ok.. it happens to everyone at one point or another. if you can point one of the filters discharge to cause surface agitation, do that. Surface agitation will help degauss the co2 and return it to normal. let us know how it goes.

Ken

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first off.. shut the co2 off and....... breathe, relax. It will be ok.. it happens to everyone at one point or another. if you can point one of the filters discharge to cause surface agitation, do that. Surface agitation will help degauss the co2 and return it to normal. let us know how it goes.

Ken
LOL yes, I am trying to relax! Lowered the water about 5 inches and have the spray bar just above the top pointing down.... How long should I keep it this way?

josh

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Do you have an airpump? It will help tremendously. And keep the lights on for a while. Once the lights are off, the plants start using oxygen.

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
I would keep the Otto in the tank; moving him now will just stress him out further.

If you can further raise your spray bar even higher so that there is significant surface "splash", it would be even better to help the CO2 diffuse out of your tank.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
it happens to everyone at one point or another.
Umm...no, it doesn't because adjusting CO2 is really not rocket science.

Yeah...my comment doesn't help anyone. I'm just being frustrated with the general level of higher cognitive processes in fishkeepers (just coming back from an LSF). Has nothing to do with you, anchlo, hope your oto makes it. Next time you play around with the gas, stick around...:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Umm...no, it doesn't because adjusting CO2 is really not rocket science.

Yeah...my comment doesn't help anyone. I'm just being frustrated with the general level of higher cognitive processes in fishkeepers (just coming back from an LSF). Has nothing to do with you, anchlo, hope your oto makes it. Next time you play around with the gas, stick around...:icon_mrgr

Yeah it may not be rocket science... I shouldn't have even touched the needle valve.... Thats what I get for not having a drop checker... Yeah I sould have stuck around also...lol:icon_wink

·
Registered
1 Posts
AHHH HELP!!!! I cranked my CO2 just a little bit yesterday and everything seemed fine... Till I came home and found one of my YoYo's laying on its side and a few of my Ottos swimming funny.... I know its the CO2 as all fish are not active.... what sould I do now?

Hurry Help... I have since cut the BPS rate in half.... anything else? water change or just wait it out?

thanks Josh
Josh,

Ufff sounds like the worst is over... OK now that you had this experience, how about thinking proactively... set up a "First Aid Kit"(PAK) ! An accident is an accident, but some can be avoided or remedied... in this case... why not go to Walmart and pick up a nice two outlet air pump, and a couple of long air "stones" and tubing. Place it in your "PAK" designated corner and if it were to happen again, Voila! aerate the heck out the tank. Also an underwater circulator pump will help as well, moving the water and gases around which brings them to the surface and out of the tank...

Glad to hear it all worked though... :) :proud:

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Yeah it may not be rocket science... I shouldn't have even touched the needle valve.... Thats what I get for not having a drop checker... Yeah I sould have stuck around also...lol:icon_wink
Are you ordering getting a DC now?

You may not need it long term, but you can sure dial in your aquarium easier with one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts