The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have both a pressurised and DIY CO2 stytem running in my Fluval Edge 23l. When i moved to the pressurised system, instead of give up on the DIY which works well I though that it would be a good idea to output the DIY system via a sintered glass atomiser stone into the bottom of the hang on filter, under the sponge mechanical filter. My thinking being that the CO2 bobbles will get caught in the filter sponge and therefore have a longer time submerged and therefore diffuse more efficiently.

My question is whether this will affect the biological filtration at all. What effect if any will the addition of CO2 bubbling have on the bacteria, and will this be detrimental?

I have a drop checker and regularly check Ph and ranges are good even with both pressured and DIY systems running

·
Registered
816 Posts
I really wouldn't think you need any DIY CO2 anymore if you're using the pressurized stuff.
The impeller in the HOB filter probably isn't going to like the bubbles, and the bacteria in the filter wont be thrilled about it either.
And I don't think you need to go through all that when you can just tweak the needle on your pressurized set up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I really wouldn't think you need any DIY CO2 anymore if you're using the pressurized stuff.
The impeller in the HOB filter probably isn't going to like the bubbles, and the bacteria in the filter wont be thrilled about it either.
And I don't think you need to go through all that when you can just tweak the needle on your pressurized set up.
I agree with this. Bacteria become more inefficient (and possibly die) as the water becomes more acidic, and if the CO2 is going straight into the filter before it has a chance to diffuse through the rest of the tank, that the water going into the filter could be extremely acidic. Also, save yourself some trouble and just stick with the pressurized.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You're welcome. And you also get the added benefit of less equipment in the tank and not dealing with making new batches of DIY CO2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts