The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You actually increase the amount of oxygen in the tank by injecting CO2, as long as you have enough plants. The pearling you see is water reaching oxygen saturation. O2 and CO2 are not mutually exlusive. One could potentially have high levels of both.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would be concerned more with O2.
Everything in the tank need's sufficient O2 to live,(substrates.bacteria,fishes,plant's) use quite a bit.
Plant's can do well with lower CO2 if light energy is moderate they just grow slower.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hello,

I just wanted some feedback on whether it is better to measure dissolved O2 or CO2 in tanks for a healthy environment? I am thinking of measuring dissolved oxygen with the DO-AQUA: Portable Dissolved Oxygen Meter | Edaphic Scientific Has anyone had experience with the DO-AQUA?

Thanks
I dont think either is really better than the other. A better question is why do you want to do this and what are you going to do with the results? Do you think something is wrong? Whats your plan to "fix" any "problem" you might find by taking these measurements?

Keep in mind that you cant really harm anything by having too much oxygen. As noted above, if you can see your plants pearling that means you have more oxygen being created that can be dissolved into the water. More oxygen is always a good thing! If you dont think you have enough for some reason, then start simple. Increase surface agitation; add an air stone. I dont see any need to take accurate measurements to come up with an exact figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.