The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am currently running two 29g tanks. Carbon copies of each other. The lights I use are 30" catalina dual 24watt t5ho. I use no Co2 and I have zero algae issues. Each tank is heavily planted with java fern, lace java and jungle val. I am moving. My new landlord is allowing me to go back to my "big enough it floods your apartment and your neighbors" roots. I don't want to test my luck so I'll be setting up a 55 gallon. I will be combining the two 29's into one 55. I have a few questions.....

1: I ran co2 on my old 55g. I still have all the equipment including a mostly full 20lb tank...Should I run it?

2:What Light should I use? I used to run a Current USA 48" dual t5ho on my old 55 + the Co2.

3.If you don't think I should run Co2, what would be a good lighting choice?

3: With the average t5ho fixture I will gain 2 inches between the light and substrate going from a 29g to a 55g. Being so heavily planted what are the chances I could get away with an average quality/reflector dual t5ho fixture without Co2? Its working on both my 29's..

Thanks for the help!!:)

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
always use CO2 if you can.........

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone can answer this. CO2 can be used, or not used, and you can get lovely tanks either way. One is quicker, one is less trouble/expense.

I suspect there is something you can't grow without CO2, but it's certainly not the plants you mentioned.

This seems a bit like saying "Do I want Ketchup with my fries or not". You may get lots of opinions of other people's tastes but there's nothing objective that I noticed with which to help you.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone can answer this. CO2 can be used, or not used, and you can get lovely tanks either way. One is quicker, one is less trouble/expense.

I suspect there is something you can't grow without CO2, but it's certainly not the plants you mentioned.

This seems a bit like saying "Do I want Ketchup with my fries or not". You may get lots of opinions of other people's tastes but there's nothing objective that I noticed with which to help you.
Objectively.. CO2 is no different than fertilizer and he has the "tech"... soooo it would be silly not to use it. like watching your plants turn yellow as you sit on a bag of fertilizer..

CO2/nutrients/light

Gas exchange is always problematic in water..

I do, at least in part, objectively consider CO2 more important than high light or fertilizers.. esp. if it is a fish/plant tank.. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The objective of my post was to clear up some lighting confusion. The light's you guys and gals recommended will decide whether I use co2 or not. I've been torn between low tech and high tech. My 29's are doing great without co2 granted the plants I have aren't really demanding.

What are some good lighting choices out there today? Its been a few years since I've been in the market. Led's an option?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
LED's are a great option. You have a ton of choices there as well. If you want to keep your current plants and not use CO2 there are LED fixtures that will do that for you. If you want to grow lots of light demanding plants for a change, there are LED fixtures that will allow you to do that as well.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you don't use CO2 your lighting requirements will be more modest - less bright, less expensive, less heat.

There are a ton of choices, but as a for-example, I would put one Current LED+ on a 55G for low tech, and probably the LED+ Pro for a CO2 setup (roughly twice as bright).

But there are plenty of choices in either case. Don't forget to check out controller capabilities you may want - some people like special effects (moonlight schedules, storms, etc.), some people just want on and off. A perhaps common need many do not meet is multiple periods on per day, e.g. with a siesta in between. Decide how fancy you need that, as it will include or eliminate quite a few choices.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
The light's you guys and gals recommended will decide whether I use co2 or not.

Thanks
The 2 are unrelated...
tropica article.

"The overall effects of Co2 in lowlight tanks according to tropica is that it has more of an impact then increasing the light.
CO2 and low light is a great combination, easy to achieve good growth, easy to export nutrients/water changes etc.
Excellent growth and color, but not super fast so that you must prune weekly, now you only might prune 2-4 weeks.

Algae and other balancing it also much easier and less intense.
CO2 levels are easier to achieve and so on............Tom Barr
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35545&page=2

more to the point w/ added CO2 it almost doesn't matter which light you go with.. within reason.
and your orig topic was CO2 yes/no???

so yes... ;)

now if you "buy into" this program.. Next question is do you want to spend money on new lighting or not?
What objective are you trying to achieve?

48x13x20

·
Registered
53 Posts
To the OP, you don't say how much work you want to put into the 55 gallon. While Tom Barr's comments were provided here about being able to use CO2 and low light, his favorite method at around the same time of those postings was the one method without CO2. Of course that was back in 2007, not sure how he feels now. :) I posted the link when he talks about the 4 main ways you can run a tank. Before deciding on going or not going the CO2, you might want to investigates the various ways you can run a tank. The postings I have seen from Tom say you can have just as nice plants without running CO2 in a tank. All the methods work so it's more about what one seems the right one for you.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar.../3009-step-2-chose-a-method-and-learn-it-well

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/13623-Tom-Barr-s-Non-CO2-method

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
To the OP, you don't say how much work you want to put into the 55 gallon. ....[/url]
Just to be clear, I have three: 220G, 55G and 30G (shrimp).

Right now I keep the 220G and 55G more or less in sync, similar ferts, similar light (proportionally), similar stocking levels.

The 220G though is a centerpiece in the living room, the others are buried i my office where no one sees. Also, the other two have no (zero) storage underneath. The filters are off way to the side behind a file with no more space either.

So the 220G is the target of these thoughts, both so it will recover from re-scaping more quickly, and because I have space.

But as to effort.... I enjoyed building all this, but I like projects that get done, and are low maintenance then. I'm open to something that is one time effort, but want to avoid things that are long term headaches.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hehe Linwood. I was referring to the 55 gal tank that Gplus was going to combine his two 29 gallon tanks into.

Not sure what his goals are with the 55 gal besides merging two tanks into one. Easy to say use this light or that light or go with CO2 or not CO2 but depending on his goals for the tank, one setup/method might work out better for him than another.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My apologies, of course -- I got this thread confused with another where I was discussing mine and co2.

We now return control of your TV to your regularly scheduled program....

:icon_redf

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My original post was geared towards trying to choose a light and whether my lighting choice would have me needing co2 or not. I figured since I posted it in the lighting section It would come across that way, sorry for being unclear.

I don't want to confuse everyone so here it is in a nutshell. If I decide to go low light, who makes a good t5no/led fixture? Who makes a good quality t5ho fixture if I decide to go high light? I don't want to break the bank on a light but I'm not interested in a cheap one.

Again, sorry for the confusion. I'd always thought c02 and lighting went hand in hand i.e More light requires c02. You learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hehe Linwood. I was referring to the 55 gal tank that Gplus was going to combine his two 29 gallon tanks into.

Not sure what his goals are with the 55 gal besides merging two tanks into one. Easy to say use this light or that light or go with CO2 or not CO2 but depending on his goals for the tank, one setup/method might work out better for him than another.

My goals are up in the air.The reason I say that is because of my two 29g tanks. They are both running great with somewhat high light and no co2. I don't want to switch over to a 55g and have an imbalance. I'd love to use a t5ho fixture again so in the future I can keep more demanding plants.

Not sure right now if I want to put the energy back into co2. I need to buy a few things like a new diffuser first. How about we look at it both ways. Could you recommend a decent t5no/led fixture, that would beep me at lower light. Could you recommend a decent t5ho fixture? That way if I decide to go either route I'd have a light in mind.

Thanks to you and everyone else for not jumping the gun and asking questions first.

Bump:
If you don't use CO2 your lighting requirements will be more modest - less bright, less expensive, less heat.

There are a ton of choices, but as a for-example, I would put one Current LED+ on a 55G for low tech, and probably the LED+ Pro for a CO2 setup (roughly twice as bright).

But there are plenty of choices in either case. Don't forget to check out controller capabilities you may want - some people like special effects (moonlight schedules, storms, etc.), some people just want on and off. A perhaps common need many do not meet is multiple periods on per day, e.g. with a siesta in between. Decide how fancy you need that, as it will include or eliminate quite a few choices.
Thanks for the suggestion I actually have a finnex fugeray on a 10g cube tank I bought around 2 years ago. It puts out great light. That's why I asked if led's are a viable option for a 55g. The depth of a 55g worried me. Sounds to me I'd be alright!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you like that, they have a sister company called Current. Current had an LED, then LED+, then Ecoxotic came out with the eSeries which were to provide more light for planted tanks, and then later Current produced the next version as the LED+ Pro. So you might compare the LED+ Pro as well. Same company (sort of), but the latter is a bit more recent technology.

I have a bunch of the LED+ and love them, but they had no timers; the new ones I think do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The current pro looks to be a bit cheaper too! I'll have to check out out. I ran a Current t5h0 fixture around 6 years ago on my old 55g. My parents still use it as a light for a back room in their basement! I had a great experience with it. Led's seem like the way to go now a days. More features and less power consumption!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction everyone. I'll do a bit more research and pick a light soon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts