The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would 2 T8 6500k 48" lights be considered low, medium, or high lighting for a 55g tank?

I am trying to determine whether I want to upgrade my lights and am very intimidated by co2.
I don't want to use Excel, it has too many negatives for my tank inhabitants and plants.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Mah

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I think it would be low light, but honestly don't feel intimidated by co2.
If you want to go hi tech you go hi tech, just don't go hi tech and cut corners at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
I would say low light as well.

If you want to upgrade to high lighting, then CO2 will be required. Pressurized CO2 is the most economical way to do this; there is nothing to be scared of as long as you take the proper precautions.

Much like driving a car, accidents can happen, but if you take all the necessary precautions and operate it safely, your chances are very minimal.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your 55G's Lighting

Would 2 T8 6500k 48" lights be considered low, medium, or high lighting for a 55g tank?

I am trying to determine whether I want to upgrade my lights and am very intimidated by co2.
I don't want to use Excel, it has too many negatives for my tank inhabitants and plants.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Mah
Hello Mah...

You have the right bulbs as long as you just keep low light plants. You don't need CO2 for plants that need low to moderate light.

You can grow more than enough plants to fill a 55G with a couple of T8, 32 watt bulbs. I keep Anaubias, Amazon sword, Java fern, Singapore moss, Anacharis and Pennywort and my tanks have just a couple of 6500K bulbs from the local hardward store. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb that costs about $10.00 and it will last well over a year. You don't need all the "bells and whistles" to have a nicely planted tank.

Excel is fine, though pricey. You don't need to use commercial ferts as long as you have a well stocked tank of fish. Just feed them a good diet. They'll provide all the nutrients the plants need.

B

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Mah...

You have the right bulbs as long as you just keep low light plants. You don't need CO2 for plants that need low to moderate light.

You can grow more than enough plants to fill a 55G with a couple of T8, 32 watt bulbs. I keep Anaubias, Amazon sword, Java fern, Singapore moss, Anacharis and Pennywort and my tanks have just a couple of 6500K bulbs from the local hardward store. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb that costs about $10.00 and it will last well over a year. You don't need all the "bells and whistles" to have a nicely planted tank.

Excel is fine, though pricey. You don't need to use commercial ferts as long as you have a well stocked tank of fish. Just feed them a good diet. They'll provide all the nutrients the plants need.

B
Thanks for the reply, as much as I want to go "high tech" the reality is I can only afford "low tech".

Which is ok by me.

Next question,

I have a (east)window bay area, its approximately 14'x3' that I want to move my tank to. It would give me 8-10 hours of natural light.
Good idea or bad idea, or won't really matter?

Would I just have algae issues, or would the additional light benefit the tank?

·
Long-time Lurker
156 Posts
I did that once and it was a mess. You don't have control over natural light so it is very easy for an algae bloom. Another thing to watch out when you do that is temperature swing.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
it depends on how good the reflectors are, but it would be nothing less than very solid medium light. If it has good reflectors though, then that is hi-light and you'd NEED co2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.