The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as it says. My main centralized system (6 x 20L display tanks w/ a double sump that is 2 x 20L) has a 20lb tank that goes through a very large reactor on the exit side of the sump.

However, a acquired the above mentioned 40 breeder with HOB. CO2 will be employed with the following: a 10gallon CO2 tank, 2-stage regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, fine metering valve, etc... Even have a pH probe and RaspberryPi for control (CO2 dosing controlled by pH value).

WIth no sump and no canister... what is the recommended setup for dissolving the CO2 with this setup?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Diffuser is about your only option unless you want to run a separate closed system dedicated to running a reactor.

HOB will create a lot of (good) gas exchange so you'll likely have to run higher flow rates of CO2.

I've had luck running the diffuser right next to the filter intake, the filter intake had an intake sponge on it which the micro bubbles of CO2 clung onto giving me 100% gas dissolved. Some will claim this could harm bacteria in the filter, but my tank was successful doing this.

Another way I have done it was to run the diffuser in an area of high flow to spread the micro bubbles into the water column everywhere and have more time to dissolve. This work but you get the soda water vibe of micro bubbles everywhere in the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts