The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2, O2 & Inline Diffuser??

4517 6
Hello,

I have been in the aquarium hobby for at least 15 years and am just now trying an inline glass diffuser. I set up a new 33 gallon rimless tank with an Eheim Ecco Pro filter, UV sterilizer, soon to get an inline heater once Hydor gets their crap together. Anyone know when they are going to be releasing more heaters?

I really want the tank to be as clean as possible, with the only thing in the tank to be the glass lilly pipes for the filter. I purchased an inline diffuser so I don't have anything bubbling away in the tank.

This tank will be heavily planted, will I even need to introduce air into the tank, or will there be enough oxygen produced from plants to sustain the ecosystem?

I am now wondering if there is a possibility of using a T connector, 2 check valves and using the diffuser to introduce oxygen into the water when the CO2 shuts off.

Would the diffuser's ceramic disk be able to hold the pressure from the air pump?

Would it work if I put a pressure reducer - valve on the airline tubing to restrict the flow of air into the diffuser?

This is my first rimless topless tank and I'm loving it so far! I can't wait to get some fish in and worry about jumpers! Haha

I am trying to get the cleanest look possible for my tank, any suggestions are welcomed with open arms.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds like it will be a sweet setup! One thought might be to have a small powerhead that kicks on when the CO2 is off, I kinda do that through an intank UV sterilizer that I run at night. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Racedoc!
Why the powerhead? I already have a lot of water movement from the oversized filter for the tank. I fear that more movement and my plants wont stay in the ADA Amazonia powder. Would that be a substitute way to introduce the air into the tank instead of taking it through the diffuser? Not to be repetitive, but I am trying to keep everything out of the tank that I possibly can.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ah I gotcha, sorry - was thinking a little more surface agitation might improve your oxygenation, but I see your point. Not sure on your idea, but it's a good one if the diffuser will work for that function.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You could just raise the outflow when the lights go off which will in increase surface agitation

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Also i may have a spare inline heater i could sell. PM me and I'll check when i get home from work

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks xxxSHyXAxxx, I do plan to aim the outflow pipe so the flow stays more along the top of the water instead of going down deep in the tank. This will make more surface agitation which also keeps the surface scum from forming. However I don't want to have to move the pipes around daily, thought that introducing it in the diffuser would be an easier plug and play option. Less/easier maintenance the better!
Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm with yea on that. The only issue I see with using an air pump with a CO2 diffuser is that the pump my not be able to produce enough pressure. The pores in a CO2 diffuser are much smaller than an air stone. I think I read somewhere that typical ceramic CO2 diffusers usually require 30 psi or more. Since you already have the diffuser it wont hurt to try it out. If it does work I would get a second air pump and leave it in storage just incase you burn out the original pump because it had to work extra hard to push through the CO2 diffuser. A second option you may think about is to get a PCV T connection, 2 hose barbs, a cap, an air stone and some air line tubing and make your own inline diffuser. You can have the air stone inside the T and drill a hole in the cap that makes a tight fit around the air line tubing so that it'll seal itself. Put the hose barbs on the ends of the T connection and put it inline with your filter outlet. You may run into issues with getting big air bubbles coming out of the outlet though. air stones make big bubbles so you would need a good amount of flow to keep them separated until they can reach your tank.

sorry about any punctuation, capitalization and spelling errors. I wanted to get this post out fast because my kids are getting into stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.