The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much CO2 is lost using a reef tank with weir overflows?

Oceanic 135gal drilled with dual weir style overflows thy are plumbed to a 30 gallon sump and out to a 3" Rex Griggs style reactor with pressurized CO2.

I have read most of the threads regarding sealing sumps and have done it in the Tom Barr style(ductape over the first chamber). I am injecting 7-8 bps and am barely keeping the drop checker green and I am begining to think the weirs may be the root of my problem. Hopefully there is something I can do without having to crank the CO2 and use a 5lb tank a month.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. I have a corner overflow with a standpipe. I don't have anything sealed and decent surface turbulance. I run 6 or 7 bps. My Bubbles are roughly the size of a bb. My drop checker turns lime green. I get quite a bit of turbulance from my overflow I would just try turning up the c02 a little more you have a huge tank. Goodluck!

·
Registered
951 Posts
The overflow alone will lose a lot of the CO2 in your tank. I would find some way to seal that part. Also, take Tom Barr's advice and seal the first chamber of the sump.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If I were having problems I would probably get off of my but and do it. My c02 levels are fine though so I don't care Lol.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
The overflows with stand pipes installed and tuned flow on the drains they aren't bad (imo)
Eliminating splash within the sump proper seems to make a bigger difference.
George Booth was kind enough to email several times while I was modifying an old Oceanic 150 plus series.
Basically ended up gutting it and installed diverting panels to use a basket arrangement.

Bottom line is splash kills the gas.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read most of the threads regarding sealing sumps and have done it in the Tom Barr style(ductape over the first chamber).

The discharge is about 6" below the waterline of the sump so there is no splashing, only some bubbling from the air drawn in with the water from the overflow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts