The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
open top will not really matter what will have a much greater effect is your water movement and agitation. if your not getting enough co2 into the water id look at your diffusion method and flow rate but a lot more INFO in needed like type of co2 diffusion, bubble rate, tank size, light, surface agitation, filter type, ext ext that will help others get down to why your not getting proper co2 levels

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a "carbon doser 5000" which is the water filter canister system inline with an eheim canister. pH is controlled with a solenoid and profilux controller.The return opens 2 inched below the surface.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Like 150EH said, it's all about CO2 diffusion, surface agitation, and good flow to distribute the dissolved CO2.

Google Amano's ADA tanks. They're all open top.

EDIT: How much of a pH drop are you getting? In my tank (48"x18"x18"), my pH during the lights on drop all the way to 6-6.2. The tank water I took out and let sit for 24 hours test out to pH 7.4. While pH drop isn't the best way to measure dissolved CO2, it's a good starting line.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like 150EH said, it's all about CO2 diffusion, surface agitation, and good flow to distribute the dissolved CO2.

Google Amano's ADA tanks. They're all open top.

EDIT: How much of a pH drop are you getting? In my tank (48"x18"x18"), my pH during the lights on drop all the way to 6-6.2. The tank water I took out and let sit for 24 hours test out to pH 7.4. While pH drop isn't the best way to measure dissolved CO2, it's a good starting line.

Meaning less to no surface agitation? Some is needed in a planted tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.