The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into the co2 levels of a work aquarium that's more or less 200 gallons. It's set with a solenoid that has a dial to set the amount per bubble of co2 (Currently set at 1 bps). I was just wondering anyone's opinion on that. Should it be higher for a big tank like that or is it fine as it is?

It has a diy diffuser system that is attached to canister filter. Densely planted and has a good amount of fish. It was neglected for some time and im in charge of restoring it's beauty.

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
Bubble per second is not a good measure of CO2, as the actual amount of CO2 that makes its way into your aquarium may be different. This means that your X bubbles per second will be different than another person's X bubbles per second.

That being said, it is a good way to estimate whether you are injecting more/less CO2 than before.

Regarding the aquarium, 1 bubble per second is much too little for a 200 gallon aquarium. Your flow rate should be so fast that it just appears as a steady stream of CO2 (to actually maintain 30 ppm of CO2).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking. Ill try putting it up a notch hopefully it'll get the plants back on track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think, as much co2 as possible is a good amount of co2.just observe fish and find the balance?!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats exactly where I keep my personal tanks :) just enough so fish don't look like they are suffocating or showing signs of trouble breathing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I do the same :) still would suggest to meassure kh and then get some idea of how much I want the ph to drop. Just to avoid supper droop in case it Kh is low. Otherwise co2 up I would say :)

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts