The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a 50g moderately planted tank with CO2 injection. 1 airstone, and 1 sponge filter for aeration. I am in India where it's quite hot in the summer due to which my tank water temp stays in the 30 - 31c range (86 - 88f). I believe the tank water is not retaining oxygen because of the temp and my fish start to gasp within few hours of turning off the airstone after turning on my co2 during my lighting period. I was injecting 1 bubble per 3 sec which I know is very less for the tank size but anything more is stressing the fish. The tank is not overstocked. Currently, I have started to run the air stones with the co2 injection, I am wasting most of the CO2 due to the airstones but the fish seem happy and I don't see any other way out until the summer is over. Could you guys help with any advice that could help me optimize my CO2 or not gassing my fish even with such low CO2 levels?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If you are worried the temperature is causing issues then the easiest solution is to cool the tank. Put a small fan up top with air blowing across the water. This will increase your evaporation but it will drop the temp 6 degrees F at least through the evaporative transfer. To figure out if your co2 is too much you can take ph reading after co2 has been on and you are seeing signs of fish distress, and also a ph reading from water that has degassed for 1 to 2 days. The difference will let you know if you are adding too much co2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are worried the temperature is causing issues then the easiest solution is to cool the tank. Put a small fan up top with air blowing across the water. This will increase your evaporation but it will drop the temp 6 degrees F at least through the evaporative transfer. To figure out if your co2 is too much you can take ph reading after co2 has been on and you are seeing signs of fish distress, and also a ph reading from water that has degassed for 1 to 2 days. The difference will let you know if you are adding too much co2.
Thanks for the reply. Putting the fan on top seems to be the only option for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts