The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the few days I've been noticing my drop checker getting bluer, so I upped the bubbles per second.. I think I had it up to 5 bps. Today while I was re-arranging the cabinets I check on the co2 regulator again and the tank reads as empty! I filled it up with co2 about a week and a half ago.

The pressurized co2 is the primo system from GLA, with their 5000 glass diffuser with a 5lb bottle. It's for a 55 gallon tank with a hob filter that causes current but I always keep it full so it doesn't create as much turbulence.

Does it normally empty that fast or did I have a leak? :( How do I find out where the leak came from? I tried checking through all the tubing and I can't notice anything. I searched the forums and saw a few posts mentioning soapy water tests but I don't know what it is. Help?!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would guess I leak, but I dont run mine as fast as yours, your probably losing some from the HOB. I run a 5lb too on my 55 and it lasts about 3 months or a little less running 3bpm or so. The first place I would check is the regulator I bet you could crank down more on the bottle. I had the same thing happen on my 10g, I lost about half the pressure in two days, a little more force on the regulator nut fixed it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
sounds like you do have a leak. I also have a 55g and my first co2 tank lasted about 5 months.

soapy water is exactly what it is. water + soap = soapy water that can make bubbles at the sign of the slightest leak. Then take some of that water and put it at the connection sites where leaks can occur. If there's a leak at the connection, then you'll see bubbles growing at the location.

Another way is to make a tub of soapy water and submerge your airlines and connections under. you should see a stream of bubbles coming from the location.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitively a leak... but I'm sure it was a messup in my part. Thanks Orlando for the super quick follow-up! I'm going to do the soapy water test just in case but... me thinks I'll recruit someone because I don't have much muscle power or experience with wrenches. :icon_redf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts