The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a leak near the bubble counter which I fixed (I think) by reapplying pipe sealant. I tested the fittings everywhere for leaks for three days using a leak detecting solution (glorified soap water).

Then, I left town for work for a week and when I came back I found that the all the bubble counter fluid had leaked out and the high pressure gauge was at 0.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there is a problem with my regulator itself (a victor dual stage).

If there was a problem with the bubble counter and that caused all the bubble counter fluid to leak out, that should just result in CO2 leaking before it gets the diffuser correct? If so, it doesn't explain why the 20lb tank emptied in a week.

Could the regulator itself be bad and have dumped the CO2 with such high pressure that it caused the bubble counter fluid to leak out? It looks like a high quality regulator so that should be unlikely...

At this point I'm getting tired of constantly fixing my setup.

I'm considering getting one of these http://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_Electronic_Co2_Regulator_p/co2.htm.

They have an option to get only the black box and attach it to your own regulator but if my regulator is bad, I don't want to risk it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
what was the working pressure set at? What kind bubble counter are you using? I had on of the cheapo plastic bubble counters with the plastic threaded ends and it started leaking profusely from the gaskets at 20 PSI. I tossed it and went back to my cheapo glued together bubble counters and haven't had trouble with it since.

If the regulator were bad, it would have leaked from the regulator itself. I don't think that it would put out an increased pressure that would burst the bubble counter. Usually when the regulator has an issue, the diagraghm goes bad and leaks out of the regulator itself.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
check the second link in my signature

it is a leak before the needle/metering valve, and if you don't find the leak on the regulator setup, it is probably the CGA connection port, you need to wrench tight the CGA 320 nut.

if it is a leak after the needle/metering valve, the flow rate is controlled, and should not empty the tank in short time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll fill up the tank again and do the test.

If it turns out the regulator is toast, are regulator usually repaired if they have a problem? Or are they typically trashed?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Did you place the tiny black "O" ring in the bottom of the jbj bubble counter?
That was the most common mistake every one does the factory places it on top for shipping purpose .
I had mine leak around both covers top/bottom and I repair it and never leak after don't over tighten the caps you can crack it easy ,my needle valve never got damage fro leakages .

http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...eping-JBJ-Bubble-Counter?highlight=inkslinger

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, I did put the O ring at the bottom.

Did you place the tiny black "O" ring in the bottom of the jbj bubble counter?
That was the most common mistake every one does the factory places it on top for shipping purpose .
I had mine leak around both covers top/bottom and I repair it and never leak after don't over tighten the caps you can crack it easy ,my needle valve never got damage fro leakages .

http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...eping-JBJ-Bubble-Counter?highlight=inkslinger

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Thanks, I'll fill up the tank again and do the test.

If it turns out the regulator is toast, are regulator usually repaired if they have a problem? Or are they typically trashed?
you can get the regulator repair, but the cost is more than getting a functional used.

I doubt the leak problem is the regulator, but please test it and find out the real cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.