The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started using pressurized CO2 the first part of November. I have a 5 lb tank and the pressure has held a steady 900 lbs up until this week and now it has been dropping about 25 lbs/day so that I'm now down to 725 lbs. Is this natural as the CO2 nears its end or have I developed a leak?

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
Regarding a potential leak, I have discovered something partly through posting and through reading other threads, and then my own recent experience. You have to crank the hex fixture that connects to the tank really tight. Tight enough to compress the washer (I am buying quality nylon or teflon (?) washers from my CO2 supplier now). I had a recent experience where I thought it all was very tight, but then a leak developed. I wonder if the washer actually got somewhat compressed over time. So now I check the tightness of the fitting from time to time, and give it a little crank if necessary, especially for the first several days after replacing the tank.

I have also found my tank pressure reads a tad lower than normal(690lbs instead of 800), but the tank is on a cold, uninsulated floor that is just above a cold unheated basement. --Now that I think about it, might not be a bad idea to put a small piece of rigid insulation under the CO2 tank. The entire room is a little cold, at one end of a long house, walls uninsulated (the one room we did not insulate when we fixed up the house, but left with the historic plaster with character). Wouldn't you know it would be the best room for the tanks otherwise. I do have rigid insulation between the tanks and the wall.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I think the tank simply is going dry. It takes me about 4-5 months at 3 bps on my 65g, so your rate and tank size could mean the tank is ready for a refill in about a week. But, yes, tighten the regulator on their as tight as you can...then retighten two weeks or so after initial changing, and never reuse old washers.

As far as insulating a cylinder...I see no need. :)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first thought was that it was time for a refill but I wanted to make sure. I checked for leaks last night and didn't find any so I think I'm good.

Mine has a permaseal so that's one less thing to do after a refill.

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
Exposing myself to taunts and sarcasm here...

What is a permanent seal? Or should I visit Mr. Grigg's web site for that answer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts