The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pressure dropped overnight on 10lb tank from close to 1000 to about 700.

I found the leak near the bubble counter and took it apart.

The leak occurs in the marked spot in the image. There is some whitish stuff there on the threads which I suspect is some kind of sealant. Any idea what that is and if I need it? Or can I simply clean up the threads and put everything back?

thanks!

Hehe those are some messed up arrows I drew :icon_redf.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
use teflon tape, and press the tape firmly on the male thread, screw in the bubble counter with at least 3 threads covered with the tape.

the 10-32 thread you might want to use pipe sealant only, apply pipe sealant and wait at least 24 hours before you put it into service(apply pressure).

or you can go a little bit radical for the 10-32 threads, use pipe cement, to make it semi permanent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot.

Is the 10-32 thread what the small arrow is pointing at in the image?

Is there a specific kind of pipe sealant and teflon tape I should use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
I don't think it is leaking at the 10-32 thread. As long as you have that rubber gasket, it should be fine. The problem is with the pipe thread. Take it off, and re-apply some pipe thread sealant. Get the non-setting type, and use plenty. sometimes it works better than teflon tape. And finally, just tighten it as much as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right on the money, the pipe thread was leaking not the 10-32 thread.

However I over tightened the 10-32 thread and the rubber gasket is now useless. Can I find those 10-32 rubber gasket at Home Depot?

Thanks also for the tip on the non-setting type sealant.

There is another issue with my setup, the clippard solenoid developed a problem a few days ago and lets CO2 flow through even when completely unplugged. So I removed that from the fittings. Now I'm a bit worried that I might have disturbed more threads and created more leaks because threads other than what I intended moved a bit.

Oh well, will stock on the pipe thread sealant and teflon tape and test for leaks when I start putting it all back together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
I have this same leak. How did you get the bushing off of the bubble counter? Mine is on so tight that I can't remove it because I can't grip the bubble counter hard enough (it just turns with the wrench even if I try to hold it tightly with pliers).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
There is another issue with my setup, the clippard solenoid developed a problem a few days ago and lets CO2 flow through even when completely unplugged. So I removed that from the fittings. Now I'm a bit worried that I might have disturbed more threads and created more leaks because threads other than what I intended moved a bit.
Yeah, that'll will happen with a clippard (NON MOUSE) solenoid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. I can't get that bushing out from the bubble counter to repair the leak....
It was a bit tight and awkward but wasn't too much of a problem for me using an adjustable wrench.

The regulator was still attached to the tank when I removed the bubble counter, that leverage helped.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top