The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 is destroying my solenoid valve

394 2
Hi guys,

So I finally got around to purchasing a clippard mouse solenoid valve, which multiple people recommended on this site. It has been working great for about 2 weeks but I just noticed it appeared to be leaking, upon taking it apart, I saw serious damage to the metal components inside.

I don't know what is causing this. I use a citric acid reactor to generate my CO2 but the reaction products for that should only be CO2 gas. I have air traps located upstream of the valve as well so water should not be present in the system.

Any ideas? Is it just impossible to have a solenoid in aquariums???

One theory

I have this going through a bubble counter prior to entering the solenoid valve. Could this be carrying water vapor into the valve whereupon water collects. CO2 could then react with H2O to form carbonic acid in the valve which would degrade components.

Don't most people use a solenoid valve post bubble counter though?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Water vapor would be my guess. Have had that issue in the past with both Fresh and Saltwater tanks. Do you have check valves to prevent back flow? A long time ago when trying simple CO2 reactors I had to have a condensation area to avoid water from building in the lines.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
One theory

I have this going through a bubble counter prior to entering the solenoid valve. Could this be carrying water vapor into the valve whereupon water collects. CO2 could then react with H2O to form carbonic acid in the valve which would degrade components.

Don't most people use a solenoid valve post bubble counter though?
Most put solenoid pre-bubble counter..
Post bubble counter it is "possible" you have fairly acidic water from the bc going into the solenoid.
And you could get it pre-bc as well though.
There are gas line water traps that might help.
There are few reported problemes of Clippards failing so prematurely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts