The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a canister filter in which there is active carbon in between two foam layers.

If I were to inject carbon bubbles into the input of the canister filter, would it trap the carbon bubbles? Does co2 react to active carbon in any way? Please help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that is what people do to get it to react with the water? Im not talkin about blasting 4000 psi into my filter. Im talking about putting a couple bubbles every 10 or so seconds. Will it still be trapped at that kind of rate?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
What kind of filter are you using? Some filters have no problem taking the CO2 injection, some do have problems. I can tell you that Fluval 4 series do just fine.....DC

·
Registered
234 Posts
HOT magnums are junk ?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
::slaps self:: so the bubbles wont be carried through the intake current downward??

my idea was this: alter the siphon. ( the thingy that connects to the strainer and goes down behind your tank :help: haha)

NOTE: disregard all dashes "- - - - - "

preasurized co2 in
_____| |____
/ ________ \
| | - - - - | |
| | - - - - | |
| | - - - - | |
| | - - - - | |

^flow - - -^
down - - -from tank
to - - - - - -
canister - - - -

i have an old canister filter from my dads era of fish keeping.. It can probably be held in comparison to some of todays DIY canister filters. Intake goes to the bottom through a small elbow, and output is pumped out of the top. Output is a spray bar along surface of the water.

so what are my options?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'd imagine if you used something like the rena micro bubbler for just a few dollars, placed in/under the intake, you'd be starting out with a fine enough bubble that it would probably be all dissolved by the time it would hit the canisters impeller, and thus wont buildup gas inside the canister and cause an air lock. Never tried it though, just a thought. I just use a micro bubbler feeding a powerhead.

·
Registered
390 Posts
hmm... well, it stopped my HOT magnum.
I have been using my H.O.T. Magnum as a reactor for over a year now and it has never run dry. But, It has nothing in it, I took out the media container so I wouldn't have to clean it out every week. I am probably running about 6 bbs and I don't even get an air gap at the top, It seems to work pretty good....

·
Registered
137 Posts
my eheim does great with CO2 directly in it. I have it at about 1BPS, so I'm not rushing it with gas. Eheims are great because the intake is at the very bottom. I think most gas is disolved before it even reaches the impeller.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not that I know of. I've been thinking about doing the same thing- I just don't want to take a chance on making anything that leaks. I'd say you can just get a double nipple coupler and drill a hole in the center, and silicone a airline couple in and let it dry for a few days. That would probably do the trick.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
The 1/4" ID barb is too big for airline or clippard tubing. The ID needs to be 1/8"(=1/4"OD). One could probably get away with 3/16" ID though......:thumbsup:
It will fit, I use mostly 1/4" barbs and fittings. Stick the tubing in boiling water, it will go on.....DC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.