The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate advice on best way to add CO2 to my planted freshwater 170 gallon. I have a pressurized CO2 line running ~3bps connected directly into the intake stem of my Sunsun 304B canister filter. I don't see bubbles or "burps" coming from the output and I'm concerned that the CO2 may be accumulating around the canister impeller rather than diffusing into the water. Question: Is it OK to connect CO2 directly into a canister filter, or is a CO2 reactor a must for a large planted tank? Thanks for any comments.

·
Super Moderator
12,126 Posts
As long as there isn't any burping/cavitation coming from the filter, it should be OK, but this isn't best practice (e.g. if an air bubble forms, then it'll be troublesome).

That being said, for a 170 gallon aquarium, 3bps is very low, and is unlikely to achieve 30 ppm of CO2 (unless you are aiming for significantly less)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
As @Darkblade48 implied, you are probably well below the desired CO2 level, especially if you have high light. If you don't have high light, you won't need much CO2. In any case, 3bps for a 170 gal is almost nothing. I suggest that you use the pH drop test to determine if you are reaching your CO2 target.

Now, if you do increase your CO2 level to a typically high level, I think that that amount of CO2 is going to make your canister filter sound like a machine gun. Additionally, on a long term basis, cavitation can erode the impeller, although this is probably not that meaningful in our setups. A Griggs/Cerges reactor would be a far better way to add CO2.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.