The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be setting up CO2 injection on our 120 gallon tank in the near future so have been shopping around but without any experience in regulator and the other equipment needed we feel lost. First off we were hoping that you would tell us what products you would highly recommend. Is it important to go with a higher price regulator? Will it be more reliable and last longer? Would you recommend using a PH shutoff controller? I really don't want to spend all of this money but if I have to invest I want a product that will be worth the expense.

On another forum, someone told us we should have the CO2 bubble into the tank. My question there, which wasn't answered, is can't I have it in the third stage of my sump before the pumps return the water to the tank? We have two side overflows on our tank with 4 returns - 2 on each side. I'd rather not see any other tubing going up the back or sides of the tank if I don't have to.

Your advice and wisdom would be most appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Schmuttis,

Milwakee & JBJ make pretty comparable regulators, solenoid valve and needle valve package and also I believe Rex makes the regulator as well. When you say pricy, are you referring to Aquamedic regulator? I used to have a JBJ and I had to send it back for leaking but that was that. If you are handy, you could look into ebay and try to get some equipment at bargain price. Regards, JC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actioncia,

Actually we are very handy but without any experience in this area we hesitant to build a unit. If we could get some really basic info on how to start and what to use and what to expect I know we won't have any problems. I know this is just fear of the unknown but we just don't have a knowledge base right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually we have been going through your guide (and it is currently an open browser pager right now) and haven't finished yet. There is a lot of information there. My husband especially likes pictures so we should be set once we get to that area. Should we expect to find recommendations on your site as to what are the better products to work with?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I just added a mini review of needle valves in the CO2 section. The rest is pretty much straight forward.

I prefer to use Cornelius regulator bodies for the regulators I build. They are pretty much the Gold standard in the beverage trade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts