The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time working with CO2 indictor, so I'm not sure what color I should be looking for. I'm using 4dKH reference solution and to that I add about 4-5 drop of API PH test solution (Bromothymol Blue). Once the reagent is added, the color turns to dark colbalt blue.

After about 24 hours in my tank, the color is now dark green, exactly like the color of my Crypt Balanese. Should the color be even lighter green? Maybe similiar to the light green color of Amazon Sword or E. Tenellus?

I would like to get my Co2 as high as possible - maybe 35-40ppm. Is it safe for me to increase the bubble rate a tad higher until I get a even lighter green color?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You can gradually begin increasing your CO2 if you want but keep a close eye on your fish. Be sure you have good surface agitation. Even though you'll lose some CO2 you'll be adding more O2 for the fish and you can always compensate for the extra CO2 loss. If you're running CO2 24 hours a day you'll really want to run an airstone or increase your surface agitation at night but there's really no need to run it at night, the plants aren't using it and the fish certainly aren't. A lime green to almost yellow color on the dropchecker is okay as long as the fish aren't stressed. After a while you'll learn to judge your CO2 by the plants and fish and you won't pay so much attention to the dropchecker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts