The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just received a CAL AQUA CLIP nano Drop Checker and filled it up with the indicator fluid.
It mentioned filling 3/4 way up... but does it make a difference?

Will I receive different readings if the bulb is 100% full vs 50%?

Also, I'm still trying to dial in the co2 since I switched from a ceramic ADA diffuser to the atomic inline diffuser. Because of this, I just ordered a pH meter.

Does 2 bps sound too high as a starting point for a heavily planted 12 gallon long with an inline diffuser and a small amount of surface agitation? I start the co2 90 minutes before the photoperiod, and turn off 60 minutes before it ends.
I know my dwarf puffers can handle it, since I used to pump 1 bps+ into my 6 gallon fluval edge. Then again, that was using a less-efficient ceramic diffuser. This tank is fully stocked with plants, not a single bit of unoccupied substrate.

plants: 9+ Rotalas, (mexicana goias, mexicana araguaia, florida, rotundifolia, singapore, colorata, nanjashanenenenesdsf, mini butterfly, sp green), ludwigia sphaerocarpa, ludwigia senegalensis, HC carpet, hemianthus glomeratus, cuphea anagalloidea, Tonina Lotus Blossom, bacopa sp japan
fauna: several amanos, handful of RCS, 3 Dwarf puffers, 3 nerites
KH: between 2-3
Nutrients: EI Dosing 3x weekly macros, 3x weekly micros with DTPA Iron

·
Registered
502 Posts
The drop checker being overfilled will probably take a bit longer to respond. There will be less surface area of indicator fluid that is able to react with the gas. As for the BPS, I guess if the fish are ok with it, then it shouldn't matter. I suggest that you wait until you can be home all day to monitor the situation before you increase the co2. Better safe than sorry for the fishes' sake.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm on a reverse schedule with the lights on from 7:30PM to 3:30AM since I'm at work from 8AM to 7PM during the day. I keep a cardboard enclosure over my whole tank until I get home. My lights came on 30 minutes ago (8pm here) so I'll keep an eye on things during the photoperiod.

Regarding the drop checker, I'll probably take a little liquid out of the bulb, since it's almost totally filled. I added another more traditional drop checker a few hours ago inside of the tank with different liquid. So I'm hoping having two will help me keep a better eye on things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.