The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Has anyone got a diagram, or had experience in using Co2 in a sumped 3 compartment tank. i read somewhere that it is best to infuse the Co2 in the return pipe to lower gas loss, just wondered if anyone had done this

regards
Mike

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
This would be the way to do it in a sump setup. Though if you can skip the sump and go with a canister filter. There is simply too much oxygen introduced into the system with sump filters, all the oxygen is counter productive. If you must go with a sump, tune the overflow lines with ball valves to minimize the waterfall effect into the sump from the tank, that will help to cut down on the oxygen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Actually you want as much oxygenation as possible, it's just that anything you do to increase oxygenation will also offgas CO2. Just make sure your diffusion method is working efficiently, seal your wet/dry portion of your sump (if not the whole thing), and turn up the gas.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Gas loss is negligible in a sump. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Instead of running two bps you might want to run three bps instead. CO2 is cheap. If you run a wet/dry you might need to crank it up farther or do some sealing. But, if you run a simple sump design there is nothing to worry about.

I would plumb the CO2 reactor inline with your return pump line.

·
Registered
902 Posts
In my experience it usually has more to do with the volume associated with tanks that run sumps. Tanks smaller than 75 gallons or so are much easier to enrich with co2 because there is less volume. I have a very simple co2 set up in my sump that is run by a needle wheel and then through some 2" PVC that then escapes near the return pump. This ensures that all the enriched water is being routed directly to the return pump and I get a very good mist all throughout the display tank. (125 6 foot)

I have tried cerges and regular PVC reactors with half the efficiency with the same bubble count.

A lot of the co2 loss is attributed to the set up of your overflow. If you are using drains that require air to be mixed on its way down, you will most likely have some degassing issues that are harder to overcome. If possible, use a set up like a bean animal that has one if the drains running and full siphon. That will reduce the amount of air being sucked into your sump and the copious amounts of bubbles that then gasses off everything in your sump.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all
Thanks for the replies.. much appreciated
Info on tank
It's a 4x2x2 ...About 430L incl sump
Sump is 3 compartments .... 1st compartment will be sponge and bio media filters , middle section will be planted possibly with shrimp .and heater. and third will be return pump and Co2

Tank has a central weir with standpipe down to sump . Return pipe will be under water level

Regards
Mike

·
Registered
306 Posts
I run a 220 gallon with co2 into sump perfectly fine. my overflow is beananimal overflow.
Make sure your standpipe goes into sump and not be expose to air. You'll be good.
Do it with a sump since its way more convenient to clean your filters, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run a 220 gallon with co2 into sump perfectly fine. my overflow is beananimal overflow.
Make sure your standpipe goes into sump and not be expose to air. You'll be good.
Do it with a sump since its way more convenient to clean your filters, etc.

Andy love to see set up . I also have a. 220 with sump but it's open to the air. I need to modify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts