The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now, I could not figure out why my CO2 canister was depleted in 2 days worth of time. Finally, I decided to dip the hose in the tank. AHA! BUBBLES!
I have a Red Sea paintball canister setup, and it came with rubber hose. I have no idea what the diameter is. Know or not, I don't want to buy more, but I need to seal this leak.
A wrap with 4 inches of duct tape just made it bubble from either side of the tape. I'm thinking rubber cement (for model planes) or Amazing Goop. Any suggestions? comments? concerns? Any and all are appreciated.
steak

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
are you sure thats your only leak? even if your hose is leaking it cant put out more than what you're bubble rate is. or more than what your needle valve is set to.

check your regulator.
get a glass of water and dump a ton of dishsoap in it (a lot) and use a paintbrush to check all connections

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunked the regulator in the pool, and made sure all the bubbles were out of it. I then held it underwater for 2-3 minutes, and there didn't seem to be any leaks. I'm also unable to hear air (from the regulator) when I open up the valve.
The hose, on the other hand, makes a lot of noise when a few inches from the ear. I'm certain it releases more than I'm bubbling, because I don't bubble much more than 1.3 bps. It's only a pinhole, but it's between the regulator and needle valve. There is a constant 20 psi there. My gauge drops from 20 psi to 10 psi in a minute, and then slowly falls to 0 psi. In any case, I'm pretty the hose is the only leak.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I dunked the regulator in the pool, and made sure all the bubbles were out of it. I then held it underwater for 2-3 minutes, and there didn't seem to be any leaks. I'm also unable to hear air (from the regulator) when I open up the valve.
The hose, on the other hand, makes a lot of noise when a few inches from the ear. I'm certain it releases more than I'm bubbling, because I don't bubble much more than 1.3 bps. It's only a pinhole, but it's between the regulator and needle valve. There is a constant 20 psi there. My gauge drops from 20 psi to 10 psi in a minute, and then slowly falls to 0 psi. In any case, I'm pretty the hose is the only leak.
Not too sure that was your best move. Don't think those regs like being submerged in water much.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
For the nearly cost of goop or rubber cement I will send you 5 foot of black co2 resistant hose. 5 bucks shipped, just pm me your address. I'd rather see you succeed and quit wasting time and money trying to rig it to work when you could do it the right way for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Replace the tubing.
You can do all the fixes you wish, but it won't solve the problem - which will come back sooner or later. The cost of tubing is less than the cost of a tank refill.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, so i tried the Goop, wrapped it with electrical tape, and let it sit overnight. It worked better than the duct tape attempt, but it's still leaking. I guess I'm just going to have to trim it. I have enough slack to do so, but I'll lose length and versatility; versatility in regard to where I place all the equipment.
I hadn't thought about people like you, over stocked, that sell useful stuff like that through this forum. I'll definitely take that into consideration next time I have an equipment problem.
Thank you, dudes, for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts