The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on using a maxijet and possible modding the impeller to make a DIY Needle wheel type impeller. What model of maxijet would be ideal for my 75? I just don't want too much flow that I'm blowing things around like my angels and plants. I'm running an Rena XP3, Marineland Magnum 350, and Koralia Evolution 750 currently and that seems to be about max for flow for me, if it was any stronger, my poor angels would be blown around and the plants would be bending. Still now with my koralia, the plants move nicely and I have to point the koralia at my driftwood to deflect flow because it is too strong if just pointed down the length of the tank.

I'm using a PVC reactor now but I've seem to get better results with mist in the past. The reactor just isn't cutting it and it takes all day with it running for 8 hours before I see the plants pearl with the drop checker a barely decent green color. So I need to replace it. I'm getting BBA starting to creep in on my plants and tank. I need to get my co2 diffusion rate much better than this reactor can get me in this tank. I just don't like how the reactors work for my tank.

I'm basically going this route since mist always seemed to work better for me and I need to keep the costs as low as possible but still have a decent method of delivering the pressurized co2.

Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
take a look at tom barr's site. in the articles section, there is a sticky "dual venturi diy external co2 reactor". you might be able to do the venturi mod on your existing reactor. it produces dissolved and co2 mist. i guess you should use the 1200; as a reference, i'm running a 900 externally in a closed loop on an 18" tall reactor on my 20h.

the new maxi jets are made by marineland. i've no experience with them. apparently they come with a propeller attachment. i have the original ones made in italy by aquarium systems. they are extremely reliable, quiet, and energy efficient.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i love maxi jets they are so handy and i would in no way modify the impeller unless you do it perfectly or it will throw it off balance and make noise or vibrate or do something generally undesirable.
and as for the propeller attachment DO NOT use it in a planted tank it makes the power head do something like 1300gph (your plants wont know what hit them)
Maxi Jet 400 110gph
Maxi Jet 600 160gph
Maxi Jet 900 230gph
Maxi Jet 1200 295gph

if your just going to be misting in the tank i would go with one of the two smaller ones i wouldn't trust my 1200 in my PT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.