The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will simply adding CO2 to a tank actually kill off green hair algae?

I had been using one of those cheapo CO2 generators for my 29 gallon tank and the plants were loving it. Then the darn thing broke. So I decided that rather than replace it, I would put the money towards an up grade and go with canned CO2. One thing lead to another and it took a long time to settle on a good system (I brew beer also and use CO2 for the kegs). My aquarium has now overgrown with green hair algae, but now I've got the CO2 bubbling into the filter intake.

Does the CO2 merely allow the plants to outcompete the algae and will I need to mechanically remove the infestation? Or can I just wait it out and let the CO2 do its job?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If your root problem regarding the hair algae is CO2, then injecting the CO2 and keeping it consistent with 20-30 ppm will kill it after some time. Having it hand removed is also a good way to fasten this process gradually.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
CO2 does not kill hair algae directly. As you mentioned, it improves plant health and growth, particularly under high light, and provided that other nutrients are supplied sufficiently. The healthy plant suppress the algae.

Get your plants growing well and healthy, first, then worry about algae. If the hair algae is covering too much of the plants, you can use 1ml/gal of Excel with this method to kill it: Excel Treatment.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
+1 Hydrogen peroxide works wonders when you have an algae outbreak. Try this method here:
. I did it on 3 separate occasions within 3 weeks and it wipes out all the bba and hair algae. As always you will have to find out the reason why you are having problems or the algae will always come back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.